cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,438
Message 1 of 5

Device manager stopped recognizing dedicated GPU (Nvidia GT 745m) - Lenovo Ideapad Z710 windows 8.1

I've had my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad z710) for almost a year and I've often had problems with the integrated GPU battling the dedicated gpu. I had developed work arounds for these BSOD crashes and everything was fine. 

But yesterday I realized my Nvidia Geforce GT 745m gpu no longer shows up in Device Manager. It is also not identified by the programs Speccy and GPUz. 

My pc runs fine but It won't allow me to use my dedicated gpu, this becomes a problem when i want to run graphics intensive games or programs. I cannot update the driver because it does not see that I have the graphics card installed. 

This has to be something that happened in the past few weeks because I used my Nvidia gpu last month. 

I recently updated my bios from the Lenovo website, it updated sucsessfully and I can't be sure that it caused this problem but it is a possibility I suppose. 

I have read about this issue on several forums but have not found a solution.

Any help or advice or people with similar issues would be greatly appriciated! 

Thank you!

SPECS:

Lenovo Ideapad Z710

intel Core I7-4700MQ (2.40GHZ)
8gb Memory

1TB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M

1920x1080 17.3"

Windows 8.1

Guru
Views: 1,433
Message 2 of 5

Re: Device manager stopped recognizing dedicated GPU (Nvidia GT 745m) - Lenovo Ideapad Z710 windows

If you cannot see it anywhere, most probably its dead.

If you are in warranty, you should get it repaired from Lenovo.

They might have to replace your motherboard.

The steps you can try -

1) Clean install of graphics drivers. (Wiont work since your GPU is not recognized)

2) Reset your laptop to factory settings.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Clance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,397
Message 3 of 5

Re: Device manager stopped recognizing dedicated GPU (Nvidia GT 745m) - Lenovo Ideapad Z710 windows

Thank you for your reply, I contacted Lenovo support. Thankfully it is under warrenty and they are going to repair it. 

Guru
Views: 1,391
Message 4 of 5

Well, before sending it in, make sure you take a backup of your personal files.

They might reset your laptop to factory image.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Clance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,380
Message 5 of 5

Doing so now! Smiley Happy 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors