Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,342
Message 1 of 10

Disable F12 multiboot

I currently have a lojack-like program on my computer. However, if my computer is stolen and reformatted, the program gets erased.

So far I have done the following, to ensure my laptop's recovery:

1) Password protected the program's uninstall wizard.

2) Added a password to 1-key recovery

3) Password protected bios, to prevent changes in the boot sequence.

Now, the last thing I am missing is to disable or password protect mulitiboot (which can be accessed by pressing F12). I don't want a crook to boot into a CD and erase the OS (where my program lives).

Please help, the bios on the laptop is useless (a piece of sh*t if I may say so). Honestly, why did Lenovo (a company that really caters to computer geeks) cripple the bios?

On a side note, is there a bios update that can unlock some features?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

If it matters, I have a Lenovo Z570.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,331
Message 2 of 10

Re: Disable F12 multiboot

i don't think there'll be bios update to unlock some features.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,324
Message 3 of 10

Is there a way to disable that feature? I can live without a bios update if I can disable that feature.

If I modify the bios, will I void the warranty?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,291
Message 4 of 10

Indest, You say that you have a lojack like program that lives on the os, right? And the os is on the hard drive, right? What would prevent the thief from just pulling out the hard drive and throwing it away?

You already have a hard drive password set, right? There's no easy way to get the data off the drive without removing the platters. Even booting from a cd isn't going to allow any access to the hard drive, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a hard drive password set you can't do anything with that hard drive, I don't think anybody is going to be able to erase it.

How about Computrace? That lives in the bios. With a bios password set, there's no way anybody can get to it.

As far as a locked down bios, that is a trend that all the mfgrs. are doing. They don't want users in there modifying anything, anymore. It's too easy for a user to go into the bios and change some setting and screw something up that then has to be covered under warranty and then the user just goes back into the bios and sets it back the way it was. And the mfgr. then has to cover the mess under warranty.

As far as modifying the bios, yes, you will void the warranty. With that said, I'm sure a geek like you would be able to flash the bios back to something normal before you had to send it in for warranty, right?  Save your modded bios on a floppy so you could flash it back when the machine came back.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,273
Message 5 of 10

@ Dave: Thanks for the reply. I will address different aspects of your reply down below.

Indest, You say that you have a lojack like program that lives on the os, right? And the os is on the hard drive, right? What would prevent the thief from just pulling out the hard drive and throwing it away?

Although this is true, it is unlikely that someone will do this this. There is a greater chance of a computer being reformatted than to have a hardware change in a computer is stolen. Also, adding a boot password would force crooks to insert a HD with windows preinstall. This alone can cause issues with driver capabilities and computer expirience (If someone wants my computer, I want them to work for it). Alone, this is to much work for the average crook. I am not saying my method is fail proof, but I like to protect my property as much as possible. Your argument is like saying, why buy a safe if someone can drill the lock out.

The answer is clear, I want to protect my property as much as possible.

You already have a hard drive password set, right? There's no easy way to get the data off the drive without removing the platters. Even booting from a CD isn't going to allow any access to the hard drive, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a hard drive password set you can't do anything with that hard drive, I don't think anybody is going to be able to erase it.

If I put a HD password, the crook will need the password to use the computer. This is not what I want. I want the crook to enter my computer, so that I can track them.

Also, it would be really annoying to type in my password each time I turn on the computer.

How about Computrace? That lives in the bios. With a bios password set, there's no way anybody can get to it.

That cost money, via a yearly subscription. My system is 100% free, is customizable and works well.

As far as a locked down bios, that is a trend that all the mfgrs. are doing. They don't want users in there modifying anything, anymore. It's too easy for a user to go into the bios and change some setting and screw something up that then has to be covered under warranty and then the user just goes back into the bios and sets it back the way it was. And the mfgr. then has to cover the mess under warranty.

This might be the case with Lenovo, but I have not seen this issue (or this type of lockdown) with any other computer manufacture. Also, why can't Lenovo provide custom bios to the tech savvy?

As far as modifying the bios, yes, you will void the warranty. With that said, I'm sure a geek like you would be able to flash the bios back to something normal before you had to send it in for warranty, right?  Save your modded bios on a floppy so you could flash it back when the machine came back.

I did not think of that. Thanks for the tip.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,261
Message 6 of 10

You have some valid points now knowing how you intend to use that program.

Being able to password the boot order would be a good thing but how many mfgrs do you know of that allow you to do that? None that I know of. Even on the older machines you couldn't password protect the boot order. I guess nobody thought that would be that important. And the other mfgrs "are" locking down their bios. You can't do anything in an hp anymore. Sonys are even worse. I haven't seen a Dell lately, so I can't comment on them.

You're assuming that the thief is going to be the kid down the street. OK, let's say it is. He's going to get your machine and he's going to go into disc management in control panel and format the drive. He doesn't even have to use a disc. Then he's going to download linux from the internet. Heck, he can get a legal windows 7 image online and use your key on your laptop. It's going to take him an hour to do any of this and he's going to be sitting on a park bench 2 blocks from your house.

You can get anything online now, disc tools, operating systems, anything and not ever have to boot from a disc.

A real thief will strip it down to its parts and it'll show up on ebay because parts are where the money is. A real thief will get twice what the machine by itself will sell for just by parts. You might have an hour or two of the thief rooting around your hard drive for anything valuable and then the thing gets erased.

All I'm saying is that all the mfgrs are using proprietary equipment, drivers, and software. None of them want anything modified. You only have leeway with desktops anymore. I do agree that it would be great to have greater access to the bios. Heck, it won't be long before everything is UEFI only and there won't be a bios anymore.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,249
Message 7 of 10

You have some valid points now knowing how you intend to use that program.

Being able to password the boot order would be a good thing but how many mfgrs do you know of that allow you to do that? None that I know of. Even on the older machines you couldn't password protect the boot order. I guess nobody thought that would be that important. And the other mfgrs "are" locking down their bios. You can't do anything in an hp anymore. Sonys are even worse. I haven't seen a Dell lately, so I can't comment on them.

Acer, Asus, Dell... those are the ones I can think of right now, that allows users to turn off MultiBoot.

You're assuming that the thief is going to be the kid down the street. OK, let's say it is. He's going to get your machine and he's going to go into disc management in control panel and format the drive. He doesn't even have to use a disc. Then he's going to download linux from the internet. Heck, he can get a legal windows 7 image online and use your key on your laptop. It's going to take him an hour to do any of this and he's going to be sitting on a park bench 2 blocks from your house.

Hard to do, if all the crook can do is enter a limited account. I am also aware that you can crack window's password, but its hard to do unless you can boot to a live environment. Then again, I refer to the above: I seek to get a safe, eventhough the lock can be drilled out.

You can get anything online now, disc tools, operating systems, anything and not ever have to boot from a disc.

A real thief will strip it down to its parts and it'll show up on ebay because parts are where the money is. A real thief will get twice what the machine by itself will sell for just by parts. You might have an hour or two of the thief rooting around your hard drive for anything valuable and then the thing gets erased.

I want those 2 hours of tracking the thief down. After all, my tracking software allows me to delete personal files, take pictures, geolocate the crook etc. Also, most crooks are not smart. Usually, the whole laptop goes on sale, and not parts. But assuming you are right, I would like those 2 hours of tracking (better than nothing)

All I'm saying is that all the mfgrs are using proprietary equipment, drivers, and software. None of them want anything modified. You only have leeway with desktops anymore. I do agree that it would be great to have greater access to the bios. Heck, it won't be long before everything is UEFI only and there won't be a bios anymore.

I will cross that bridge when it comes lol.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,241
Message 8 of 10

This is just an idea and I might be way off base here and I don't use a bios password.  If you set the boot order in the bios and the bios is password protected, can you still change the boot order in multiboot (F12)?

Dave 

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,223
Message 9 of 10

Yes you can Dave. Hence my thread.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,202
Message 10 of 10

Ahhh, ok, that's what I figured.

I saw your other threads on the other forums, please let me know if you have any luck with that.

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors