cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 865
Message 1 of 10

Disk 1 at 100% in task manager causing frequent crashing, freezing, and stalling

Looking at Task manager, the disk section says that it's at 100%. I had looked online for a solution and found one that worked... for a while. It had said that in Settings > systems > notifications > Show me tips about windows > off would solve my issue and immediately after turning it off, it did. However, that was not a satisfying solution to me as I don't see that how one option would make my disk go from 100% to 1%. Regardless, I want to go play a game to test if my laptop would crash again and unfortunately, it did so a bit later. The disk was back to 100% even with the option off. I stalled completey but managed to tell it to restart for the few seconds that I got it to move. It struggled to close all programs and never even managed to restart. It sat at the blue restart screen for 10+ minutes and I had to hard reset it.

After turning it back on, I go to my settings again and see that it is on, so I turn it off again, and for the time being, my laptop is working again. But is there a more permanent solution to this? When I went to the resource monitor in task manager, the operations happening in the disk section didn't seem to have anything stand out. Granted I didn't know how to read it properly, but the top action being performed seemed to be a system action. If it goes back to 100% again, I'll take a screen cap and post it here.

Thanks for anyone who has an insight on this.

edit 1: Here's a screen shot.. I couldn't even post the first one I took because everything froze up after I managed to open task manager and snap it.

http://i.imgur.com/3bVlRlr.png

edit 2: Was finally able to get a 2nd pic.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAzFtrY.png

edit 3: Disabling "Background Transfer Service", "Superfetch", and "Windows Search" in Windows Services does not help me.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 852
Message 2 of 10

Re: Disk 1 at 100% in task manager causing frequent crashing, freezing, and stalling

what operatint system?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 843
Message 3 of 10

Re: Disk 1 at 100% in task manager causing frequent crashing, freezing, and stalling

Sorry I didn't mention.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3630qm @ 2.4GHz

Ram: 16 gb

GPU: Nvidia geforce GT 750m x2

Abhinav54pp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 804
Message 4 of 10

I got same issue I tried many thing none help

You have completely install fresh copy of window

Don't just reset from setting install from disk fresh copy

It will sort it

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 796
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your comment but I'd like to try out a few more options before I resort to such drastic measures. Even so, I don't really know how to do a fresh install cause I"m an idiot and if it requires a usb stick to install onto, I don't have an extra one because the one I already have is being used to back up data.

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 781
Message 6 of 10

I ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt and after checking the log, I have lots of system files that are corrupt. I might just have to do an install of Windows 10. So how can I do this without losing all of my stuff?

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 775
Message 7 of 10

After scanning I also ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" And that didn't do anything either. Lastly I ran "chkdsk /f /r" but it couldn't do it because it was being used by another app or something like that so I had it do it upon start up. So I restarted it and it ran the scan , but its been stuck at 11% between 2 and 3 hours now so I'm forced to shut it off and try something else.

Edit: Well fantastic. Even after a hard reset it goes back into scan upon start up and is once again stuck at 11%. Please, I'm getting desperate for help from someone who actually knows what they're doing. I fear all the help that I'm trying to get myself is just going to make it worse and worse. 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 761
Message 8 of 10

@thn10606 wrote:

After scanning I also ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" And that didn't do anything either. Lastly I ran "chkdsk /f /r" but it couldn't do it because it was being used by another app or something like that so I had it do it upon start up. So I restarted it and it ran the scan , but its been stuck at 11% between 2 and 3 hours now so I'm forced to shut it off and try something else.

Edit: Well fantastic. Even after a hard reset it goes back into scan upon start up and is once again stuck at 11%. Please, I'm getting desperate for help from someone who actually knows what they're doing. I fear all the help that I'm trying to get myself is just going to make it worse and worse. 

I woud'nt continue with the process since it might result to a failed drive instead of doing the repair. Instead I would run OneKey recovery through the NOVO button to restore the unit to factory condition. You may do the troubleshooting about the problem after the restoration.

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 742
Message 9 of 10

Hey LenBlazer,

So I'm trying to reinstall Win10 using a usb. I'm at the part where it's asking where I want to install it. My pc has like 9 partitions but I don't know which ones I should delete or where I should install it. So I searched this board on how to do it. I saw your post on another topic about how you can reinstall without messing with the partitions and posted a guide. The guide just showed how to do it from settings, which I didn't want to do. In the end, I did it anyways since I didn't feel like waiting for answers anymore in various topics I've made in various places. Anyways, I couldn't even do it that way, with the pc saying that it couldn't do it for no reason and that no changes were made.

So do you know which partitions to clear and which to install on? Here are the partitions I have.
https://imgur.com/a/TFtEl
I'd like to keep the one touch recovery function.

Thanks for your help.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 730
Message 10 of 10

@thn10606 wrote:
Hey LenBlazer,

So I'm trying to reinstall Win10 using a usb. I'm at the part where it's asking where I want to install it. My pc has like 9 partitions but I don't know which ones I should delete or where I should install it. So I searched this board on how to do it. I saw your post on another topic about how you can reinstall without messing with the partitions and posted a guide. The guide just showed how to do it from settings, which I didn't want to do. In the end, I did it anyways since I didn't feel like waiting for answers anymore in various topics I've made in various places. Anyways, I couldn't even do it that way, with the pc saying that it couldn't do it for no reason and that no changes were made.

So do you know which partitions to clear and which to install on? Here are the partitions I have.
https://imgur.com/a/TFtEl
I'd like to keep the one touch recovery function.

Thanks for your help.

That link that you mentioned might not be applicable in your case. What I have suggested earlier is to just use Onekey recovery not reinstall the OS through an installer booted from a usb or dvd disc. What you do is shut down the unit, press the Novo button and select system recovery in the presented menu and you should have restored it to factory condition.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors