06-03-2015

Sydney

25 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1 of 10

Disk Partitioning on Lenovo Z50-70 with Windows 8.1 and OneKey Recovery

2015-06-07, 6:06 AM

I just purchased a new Z50-70 (run-out stock) with Windows 8.1, and am trying to understand Onekey Recovery, disk partitions etc. I read a lot of the blogs on this, but still not clear.

In this Lenovo support document

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht077144

it says

"

NOTE: The far left small Recovery Partition, EFI System Partition and Windows 8 operating system partition, is required by Windows 8. The larger Recovery Partition is the Lenovo created partition."

When I look at my hard drive, it appears different to above document. These are the partitions I see from left to right

Recovery Partition - 1000MB

EFI System Partition - 260MB

OEM Partition - 1000MB

Windows8_OS (C:) - 890.46GB

Lenovo D - 25GB 

Recovery Partition - 13.72 GB

For recovery purposes, which partitions are used by Windows, and which by OneKey?

I don't want to add or change partition sizes. I want to use Windows System Image backup on a regular basis.

Windows System Image backup selection gives pre-ticked boxes to backup the EFI partition, the Windows8 C partition, and the WINRE_DRV (System) partition (1000MB) with a tick-box option to also include the D drive.

Other than the C drive, does OneKey recover all the other partitions including the D drive, or do I need to include these all in my Windows System Image backup?

The most important question I have, is what happens if my internal hard drive fails after several years (like it did on my previous DELL laptop). I will hopefully have a good Windows System Image Backup, but with no recovery disks, if I wanted to purchase a new internal replacement hard drive, how can I get a copy of the essential OneKey partitions, to get to a state to recover my Windows System Image backup. With such an event, one generally does not want to wait for a week or more for a service centre to replace, and if failing hard drive is partially readable (as it was with my old laptop), I wouldn't want my private files going to a service centre anyway. One of the reasons I bought a Lenovo, was it appears the back plate can easily be removed to replace the internal hard drive, rather than having to take half the laptop to pieces, as is the case with many other laptops, but now it seems I can't easily acquire all the necessary recovery media I would want. Does Lenovo supply new hard drives, with necessary OneKey recovery partitions already present?

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Disk Partitioning on Lenovo Z50-70 with Windows 8.1 and OneKey Recovery

2015-06-08, 19:15 PM

First about the partiitons. Refer to this link. It described each particular partiition. From the link you gave the 13 GB space is the OKR recovery partition. To your Hdd the 13.72 GB labelled as Recovery Partition is the OKR Recovery partition. To be strict about these two partitions they are really user OKR backup storage partition. There are other partitions needed by OKR through the NOVO button. You should be able to see them using a third party partiition program like EaseUs Partition Manager.

Second. As to your important question: "The most important question I have, is what happens if my internal hard drive fails after several years (like it did on my previous DELL laptop). I will hopefully have a good Windows System Image Backup, but with no recovery disks, if I wanted to purchase a new internal replacement hard drive, how can I get a copy of the essential OneKey partitions, to get to a state to recover my Windows System Image backup."

Comment: If you made a system image or backup using Windows you will only get Windows when you restore. As to the OKR (Onekey Recovery) partitions you will not be able to restore them. If you made the backup using OKR then you will be able to restore them from the date you made the backup. This means updated OS plus programs you installed. This will only happen if the OKR partitions remain in place. So if you use a new hdd which does not  have the OKR partitions you will not be able to restore your OKR backup.

Options

7 Posts

06-03-2015

Sydney

25 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2015-06-10, 1:25 AM

Thanks for your response, and the link to description of partitions on a new 8.1 system.

I also found these 2 useful links on Lenovo forum and support sites:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/differences-between-OneKey-recovery-and-win8-s-quot-create-a/td-p/1574120

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht076024

I did find the wording in your last comment rather confusing, but after reading more Lenovo forum posts & Microsoft site posts, I think I now understand.

OKR might be good if your Windows 8.1 system hard drive never fails, but if you want to protect yourself from hard drive failure (not uncommon and possibly most likely hardware component to fail after several years), then you should really create a Windows Recovery Drive on a USB (16GB in my case), which as far as I understand it, basically creates a copy of the factory recovery image on a USB, and should enable boot to recover on a new HDD.  (I will also contine to do regular System Image Backups, and backups of my important data files).

It's a pity Lenovo don't explain this with new laptop purchase, but just give you info on OneKey. A pity Lenovo haven't incorporated making a USB Recovery Drive into OneKey. However the article on how to do it all on their support site (link above) is good.  As another observation, I see that in Windows 8.1, after doing a System Image Backup, Windows doesn't prompt you about making a USB Recovery Drive, like it used to prompt you about making a repair boot disc (CD/DVD) in Windows 7. 

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2015-06-10, 3:14 AM

wrote:

Thanks for your response, and the link to description of partitions on a new 8.1 system.

I also found these 2 useful links on Lenovo forum and support sites:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/differences-between-OneKey-recovery-and-win8-s-quot-create-a/td-p/1574120

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht076024

I did find the wording in your last comment rather confusing, but after reading more Lenovo forum posts & Microsoft site posts, I think I now understand.

OKR might be good if your Windows 8.1 system hard drive never fails, but if you want to protect yourself from hard drive failure (not uncommon and possibly most likely hardware component to fail after several years), then you should really create a Windows Recovery Drive on a USB (16GB in my case), which as far as I understand it, basically creates a copy of the factory recovery image on a USB, and should enable boot to recover on a new HDD.  (I will also contine to do regular System Image Backups, and backups of my important data files).

It's a pity Lenovo don't explain this with new laptop purchase, but just give you info on OneKey. A pity Lenovo haven't incorporated making a USB Recovery Drive into OneKey. However the article on how to do it all on their support site (link above) is good.  As another observation, I see that in Windows 8.1, after doing a System Image Backup, Windows doesn't prompt you about making a USB Recovery Drive, like it used to prompt you about making a repair boot disc (CD/DVD) in Windows 7. 

I'd like to make a comment regarding that portion in the link that provides a guide on how to make a usb recovery drive. If you're familiar with win 8/8.1 the procedure are identical. There is a statement making an argument that this usb recovery drive can be use in a new and blank hdd against a claim that it cannot be use in such a situation. Based on my experience the second claim is true. That is, you cannot use this USB recovery flash drive in a blank hdd/ssd. The first claim might become true when we have Win 10 at the end of July.

Regarding the worst case scenario which is possible with a breakdown of the original hdd, a replacement hdd is of course needed. Aside from this you need to recreate the original partitions using a program inorder for OKR to be functional. The OKR program that will respond to the NOVO button is also needed to be establish in the new hdd including the preinstalled OS and programs place by Lenovo in hidden partitions of the original drive. This is the issue that's causing owner's to make so numerous posts in the past whether they have OKR 7 or OKR 8. If the USB flash drive describe in the link can restore all the factory conditions in a new hdd/ssd why are those owners complaining?

Options

7 Posts

06-03-2015

Sydney

25 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2015-06-10, 7:12 AM

I did find a couple more tutorials implying you can refresh to a new HDD using a USB Recovery Drive and then do a Windows System Image recovery.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9064-system-image-recovery-restore-image-computer-windows-8-a.html

https://www.winhelp.us/system-image-backup-in-windows-8-1.html

(You need to scroll down to end of second one).

I have no practical way of testing if this all works, as I am not going to use my new Windows 8.1 laptop as a guinea pig, and there seems to be slightly different sequence/steps between the tutorials (and the Lenovo tutorial on same subject).

Agree there are posts around suggesting problems may occur.

Agree that on a new HDD, would probably not get any special Lenovo OKR partitions re-created, and maybe the 13 odd GB Recovery Partition doesn't get re-created back on the new HDD from the USB Recovery Drive.

Support here said could always take laptop to Lenovo, to get new hard drive installed with all initial factory partitions restored (at a price of course if warranty expired). Not sure whether to believe this or not.

Agree would like more thorough documentation and certainty on these recovery mechanisms with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 when available. Of special interest would be what would happen if upgrade to Windows 10 done from 8.1 and then after free period of Windows 10 upgrade availability has expired, one has to start again with a Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition or USB drive.

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2015-06-10, 12:50 PM

"I did find a couple more tutorials implying you can refresh to a new HDD using a USB Recovery Drive and then do a Windows System Image recovery.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9064-system-image-recovery-restore-image-computer-windows-8-a.h...

https://www.winhelp.us/system-image-backup-in-windows-8-1.html

(You need to scroll down to end of second one)."

Comment: What is stated in those links is true. You can make a system image (let me place Windows in fornt when referring to this to differentiate with the system image term use in OKR). All the stated requirements are correct. However, after the restoration OKR will not work/function. Some members who have done some investigation on this matter claimed that the partition ids are not correctly created or are missing.

"Agree would like more thorough documentation and certainty on these recovery mechanisms with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 when available. Of special interest would be what would happen if upgrade to Windows 10 done from 8.1 and then after free period of Windows 10 upgrade availability has expired, one has to start again with a Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition or USB drive."

Comment: Re: Win10 free trial period or Win 10 TP there is no provision to return to your old system. So you must reinstall Win 8.1 minus the OKR feature since the partitions are erase during the installation of Win 10TP. But according to ZDNET's article when Win 10 will be available they speculated that the Reset or Refresh program will restore the system similar to a clean installation. I'm not sure if this includes OKR. Let's just hope it will be true..

Options

7 Posts

06-03-2015

Sydney

25 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2015-06-11, 22:35 PM

A recent ZDNet article said:

"Windows 10 can still use those Windows 8.x factory partitions on upgraded devices, but the new OS is capable of generating a clean install image from its own system files."

This seems like a great idea, and saves having to re-install all MS upgrades & fixes, if you have to do a factory reset. (Just the way it's always been on mainframes with making a new boot image)!

Also there are over 100 posts on MS Community, asking these same kind of questions about refresh/reset (eg after a new HDD) after upgrade to Win 10, but only answer from MS to date is:

"After you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 successfully, you will not be required to go back to your prior downlevel Windows to be able to clean install Windows 10 - during and after the free upgrade offer. We'll provide more information on "how" in the coming weeks, stay tuned." (MS must know already surely with Win10 so close).

Granted, any special OKR partitions/programs/functionality will probably be lost.

Would be good if Lenovo Support could provide their position on OKR after WIN 10 upgrade, since this will affect a lot of people.

MS Recovery improvements in WIN10, may outweigh the potential loss of Novo button & OKR. 

Options

5385 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2015-06-12, 4:34 AM

I agree however, there are some who does not care about the NOVO button and OKR so that is a good news indeed.

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2012

US

102 Signins

842 Page Views

• Views: 842
  • Message 9 of 10

2015-09-24, 23:30 PM

I also have a new Z50-70. 

I made the Recovery USB drive and checked "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive.". It is 9.51GB on the USB. Is this an image of the complete HDD, including all the recovery partitions?

I plugged it in and used the Nova button to get to where it lets you choose the image. It showed in the dropdown drives C, D, and G.

I stopped there and I'm guessing drive G is my USB.?

Can I use this USB to recover my system, including the recovery partitions to a new, clean HDD? 

Options

5 Posts

04-18-2016

TR

16 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 10 of 10

2019-05-31, 3:44 AM
evet
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete