Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwabrahams
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,003
Message 1 of 4

Disk activity light?

I have a brand new IdeaPad Z580.  Does it have a disk activity light somewhere?  If so, I can't find it.  This is the first computer I've had that doesn't seem to have a disk activity light.  It's very useful to tell if the machine is working or not.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,000
Message 2 of 4

Re: Disk activity light?

This is wierd but true. Upon reading the whole user guide, I didnt find any thing about the disk activity indicator. I can hence conclude that it isnt manufactured with disk activity light.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,989
Message 3 of 4

Re: Disk activity light?

@pwabrahams wrote:

I have a brand new IdeaPad Z580.  Does it have a disk activity light somewhere?  If so, I can't find it.  This is the first computer I've had that doesn't seem to have a disk activity light.  It's very useful to tell if the machine is working or not.

'afternoon...

welcome to the community.

the hardware maintenance manual shows no disk activity indicator, either.

if you want to try it out, you could use the DiskMon applet from the MS Sysinternals suite, minimized to the system tray as a disk activity light replacement. see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896646

" To have DiskMon function as a disk light in your system tray, select the Options|Minimize to Tray menu item, or start DiskMon with a "/l" (lower-case L) command-line switch e.g. diskmon /l. To reactivate the DiskMon window double-click on the DiskMon tray icon. To create a shortcut to Diskmon in the tray create a shortcut in your Program Files\Startup folder, edit the properties of the shortcut and set the Target to point at the executable with the path in quotations and the switch outside the quotes: "C:\Sysinternals Tools\Diskmon.exe" /l "

hth a little.

edit: clarification.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

pwabrahams
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,971
Message 4 of 4

hardware vs. software

I'm running the machine in dual-boot mode with Linux.  I've never seen the equivalent of the disk monitor in Linux, though it might be there somewhere.  But it's unfortunate that it's necessary at all, since this really should be a hardware function.  And it is, in almost all computers (even old ones).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors