Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moh_hh
Paper Tape
Views: 15,927
Message 1 of 9

Disk cleanup won't delete windows.old

I just bought a Lenovo Y50-70 notebook, and it came with windows 10 preinstalled. Fiddling around, I found a windows.old folder in the C: drive, so I figured the shop already did the upgrade for me. I tried using disk clean up to remove windows.old folder, but after it's done, the folder still doesn't go occupying around 1GB of my storage.

Any help would be appreciated. Smiley Happy

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,915
Message 2 of 9

Re: Disk cleanup won't delete windows.old

@moh_hh wrote:

I just bought a Lenovo Y50-70 notebook, and it came with windows 10 preinstalled. Fiddling around, I found a windows.old folder in the C: drive, so I figured the shop already did the upgrade for me. I tried using disk clean up to remove windows.old folder, but after it's done, the folder still doesn't go occupying around 1GB of my storage.

Any help would be appreciated. Smiley Happy

Delete Windows.old by

1. Disk Cleanup OR
2. Command prompt. In an elevated command prompt type the following RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old then press Enter.

moh_hh
Paper Tape
Views: 15,902
Message 3 of 9

As stated, disk cleanup wouldn't work. I did try running the command given in an elevated command prompt but no luck, only a long list of "Access is denied".
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,899
Message 4 of 9

@moh_hh wrote:
As stated, disk cleanup wouldn't work. I did try running the command given in an elevated command prompt but no luck, only a long list of "Access is denied".

You should see the BIG OR. I'm giving all the options.

Delete Windows.old

1. Disk Cleanup OR
2. Command prompt. In an elevated command prompt type the following RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old then press Enter. OR
3. Boot to command prompt.
    A. Verify drive letter:
        a. Diskpart
        b. list volume
        c. Note the drive letter of your Windows 10 drive.
        d. Exit
    B. Type the following: RD /S /Q "X:\Windows.old" where X is the drive letter obtain from step 1. Then press Enter.
    C. Exit command prompt
    D. Continue to Windows

moh_hh
Paper Tape
Views: 15,888
Message 5 of 9

Pretty sure I did see your BIG OR, and I acted and replied accordingly. The last attempt entailing booting into command prompt seems to have worked though, so thanks a lot Smiley Happy

knihT
SCSI Port
Views: 15,875
Message 6 of 9

hello moh_hh

LenBlazer's focused delete is great.  Elevated command is key.  

on any "Disk Cleanup" icon do a right-click and choose "Run As Administrator." ; the resulting window of checkboxes will have now more items than not choosing as administrator.  one reboot to complete the cleaning-up of this method when selecting some folder types.  This is a essential maintenance tool.  Keep it clean! good job. 

find joy.
moh_hh
Paper Tape
Views: 15,863
Message 7 of 9

Hi knihT,
Thanks for your reply. I did know how to run an elevated command though as I said above it just didn't work either and I had to boot into command prompt like LenBlazer said, and that did the job. Smiley Happy
denier
What's DOS?
Views: 3,294
Message 8 of 9

I used disk cleanup, but the old install wasn't even listed until I went into "safe boot" using msconfig. To get back to regular mode you have to uncheck the "safe mode" in msconfig.

Fusi0nn
What's DOS?
Views: 2,565
Message 9 of 9

@knihT

Thanks so much! IDK why I didn't think to do this before, but this was my solution. All 29.9GBs of saved space! Very Valuable on a 140gb SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors