cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruckstar
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 1 of 7

Do OKR recovery disks require same original partition sizes in order to function? (Y580)

Hey guys, I tried searching through the boards but I'm getting contradicting information so I was wondering if someone could clarify a few points for me!

Briefly, here's my situation. I have a Ideapad Y580 with a 32GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo running Windows 7 and I've created my factory recovery disks using the OneTouch Recovery applications.  I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 8.

What I want to know is, in the advent that my upgrading process goes terribly wrong and that I somehow change my partitions sizes, will my recovery disks be able to recreate the original partitions and restore my system to the original format, i.e. brand-new-out-of-the-box status?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 377
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do OKR recovery disks require same original partition sizes in order to function? (Y580)

HI
If the ssd works as a cache, then recovery disk would work after changing partition sizes. If rapid drive has been setup, then you might get problems.
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ruckstar
Paper Tape
Views: 368
Message 3 of 7

Re: Do OKR recovery disks require same original partition sizes in order to function? (Y580)

Thanks for the fast reply. My system is running with original factory settings, so that means Rapid drive is running, correct? And so, would that mean that my OKR disks would not be able to restore to factory settings?

And what do you mean by SSD working as cache? I thought Rapid drive was cache.. Smiley Surprised

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 363
Message 4 of 7

Could you post a snip of the disk management?
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ruckstar
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 5 of 7

Here is it. Disk 2 (E: Drive is my external HDD)

http://imgur.com/TB3wjKY

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 335
Message 6 of 7

Hi again
It seems that rapid drive has been set up. THe recovery disk may have problem in restoring your pc to factory settings.
So you can risk to change partition sizes but i am not sure.
Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 328
Message 7 of 7

My Z580 came with a 500gb hdd, i made the factory recovery dvd on good quality dvd`s "infinity professional dvd+r" and the recording was verified, in total 3x dvd`s.

So i put a blank WD 500gb in my Z580 and tried the recovery dvd`s, the recovery prosses seemed to be going on, but it asked for the third dvd at 45% and then gave me a application failure error, i did search for the error and a few people have had this as well.

So i was wondering as well, does the hdd have to have the original partition's on it for the recovery dvd`s to work?

Thanks

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors