cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacrushar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,909
Message 1 of 8

Does the Y580 have a mSATA II or mSATA III?

Basically I'm looking into upgrading the 16GB mSATA SSD in my y580 to a 128GB one so I can install Windows and other programs on it to run faster while still haveing the 1TB 5400rpm HDD for everything else. I was just wondering, does the Y580 support mSATA III speeds? and if not then what speed mSATA SSD will it support? Also any suggestions or recommendations what mSATA SSD I should get. Thanks in andvance (:

vanowm
Punch Card
Views: 1,890
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does the Y580 have a mSATA II or mSATA III?

It is SATA III, but after I put Mushkin mSATA III 120gb drive, the fastest I could ever see in HD Tunes was 270mb/sec with 236mb/sec average, however ATTO benchmark showed 550mb/sec at 256kb+ chunks:

mSATA_Mushkin120gb_ATTO.png

P.S. you probably will have to reinstall Windows from scratch (and I don't believe it would be illegal for us download .iso from non-official places since we already bought it with the laptop and Lenovo failed provide us with ability creating backup disks)

romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,874
Message 3 of 8

Yea it's Sata III. I literally just got done installing a 256GB crucial msata. I just put a post up on why boot times are slow when you use the stock 1000GB drive as a secondary drive. That's my only problem.

I get a 15sec boot up with just the Msata alone but it goes to about 30sec with the 1000GB HDD installed too. Just make sure if you use the stock drive as a secondary you use an aftermarket partition software to erase all of the partitions. I think there is 4 or 5 that you cannot erase with the windows built in disc management,

romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,872
Message 4 of 8

256GB SSD.PNGThis is what I get with my Crucial m4 256GB Msata..Isn't that strange?

vanowm
Punch Card
Views: 1,863
Message 5 of 8

@romeactual wrote:

I just put a post up on why boot times are slow when you use the stock 1000GB drive as a secondary drive. That's my only problem.

I don't get any slow down, perhaps you have some software that starts from secondary HDD?

I left all partitions intact on 1tb drive, just in case I have to go back to original setup.

On mSATA I created 2 partitions, on first one installed OS, second is used for programs that don't require installation.

In computer managment I removed drive letters from 1TB drive partitions, exept for the largest partition where used to be OS installed now it's a stoage drive, the "drivers" partition I've mapped to a folder on main partition.

romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,846
Message 6 of 8

Strange, I even deleted the few programs I had installed on the secondary hdd. It was basically a blank drive with less than 50GB's of music/Videos etc..

And Good idea keeping a back up, I downgraded to Win 7 therefore there was no point in keeping the backup data.
jacrushar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,810
Message 7 of 8

How did you guys go about the clean install on the SSD? Any links to places with info would be helpful too. I've been reading around on the internet for as much info as I can find but seems like most people that do it are running windows 7, mine came with windows 8 pre-installed so I don't know if that changes things much. Thanks in advance.

vanowm
Punch Card
Views: 1,786
Message 8 of 8

So far the only solution I found was to get a hold of Windows 8 installation disk and install it from it. There is no CDKEY needed, W8 sees it straight from your laptop, so after install it already activated and legit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors