Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
interro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 892
Message 1 of 2

Doh! I made my speakers vanish!

Hello!

First, I want to say thank you to all the contributors to this forum. This has been the best source of information, as I get to know my new computer.

I have had my Lenovo Y510 since March, and I am very happy with it.

Trying to get used to Vista, still. I miss XP.

Because of a messed up hand, I have typing difficulties, but have had good luck with Vista's Ease of Access function for voice recognition.

I found the Y510's built-in microphone not strong enough to register my voice, though, so was using a wired headset.

Thought I would try the Motorola H500 bluetooth headset that I use with my cellphone as an alternative microphone.

Got the Mogo bluetooth Dapter that was discussed in another thread.

(http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=ideaPad&message.id=216&query.id=40550#M216)

(And, yes, it is small and cute, and completely unobtrusive. And, I got it for free, but that is another story.)

In trying to get it set up, I have made my speakers non-functional!

When I did it, I didn't realize I was screwing things up, and so did not pay close attention.

Here is (roughly) what I did:

Installed the Dapter, had it find and pair with the Motorola. Seemed like it oughta work but I could hear nothing.

Went to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices

A tabbed window entitled Sound came up. First tab, Playback, showed Speakers, a few things that said bluetooth underneath, and I don't know what else. I thought I would temporarily disable the speakers, to test if the Motorola would work then. Clicked one of the listed items that said bluetooth, and chose Set Default.

Thought I could just switch back to Speakers if I was wrong, and make them Default again. Instead, the Speakers item just disappeared from the list! No sound from the speakers, no bluetooth either.

Any ideas? 

Retired Guru
Views: 865
Message 2 of 2

Re: Doh! I made my speakers vanish!

That could be a conflict of drivers. My suggestions: uninstall all bluetooth and sound drivers and then install latest Realtek Audio driver from Realtek official site. Also try DriverCleaner to wipe out junk off the laptop. Then install SP1 for Vista and only then - bluetooth. Also be sure to find "microphone boost" checkbox in Realtek HD Audio panel - maybe that's you need for comfort?
//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors