Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pinolpier
What's DOS?
Views: 398
Message 1 of 2

Dolby Digital Home Theater 4 shows no effect

As you can read in the title, my Dolby Digital Home Theater works as software (means I don't get an error message) but I can't hear an effect like normally. I'm using an Ideapad Z500 Touch runnning Windows 8.1. I resetted my computer last week and updated everything. Without doing anything Dolby doesn't work anymore. I tried insalling all drivers I had found but it didn't work with any. Help would be great!

Pinolpier

cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 379
Message 2 of 2

Re: Dolby Digital Home Theater 4 shows no effect

Check in device manager to see if under Sound, Video and Game controllers your audio is listed as High Definition Audio Device, instead of Realtek High Definition Audio Device. If so Windows update has replaced the driver with Microsofts generic driver. One Key Theater and Dolby need the Realtek driver. You can roll back or reinstall the current Realtek driver.

However I use my laptop for professional editing and the Microsoft driver is better, with higher performance. I get stuttering on audioscrub with the Realtek driver.

The loss of One Key Theater and Dolby EQ for me is of little importance as I consider them only marginally less than bloatware. I have been involved with Dolby products both professionally and as a consumer for many years and I find their noise reduction and matrix solutions of dubious merit, plus their aggressive pro licencing is incredible. You can find just as much EQ control in Windows Media Player for example or other software, should you need it. The JBL equipped laptops have good sound anyway and the Microsoft driver has more pro control anyway than the stark Realtek one.

I realise that you may notwithstanding still want the Dolby and OKT, so the first para is the solution. Hope this helps

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors