cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leejh96
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,832
Message 1 of 13

Dolby Home Theater V4 changed to Dolby Digital Plus after Realtek Audio Driver update Windows 8.1

Hi,

I'm now using Ideapad Z510.

After upgraded to Windows 8.1. I'd went to the Lenovo website searching for new driver update.
But, after i install the "Realtek Audio Driver 6.0.1.7023", the "Dolby Home Theater V4" is not running(audio sound not playing through).

And, the "Dolby Digital Plus" is running instead of "Dolby Home Theater V4".
Then, when I try to reinstall the older version "Realtek Audio Driver 6.0.1.6954" from Lenovo website, the "Dolby Home Theater V4" is running again.

Truly, the "Dolby Digital Plus"'s sound is crisper and louder than "Dolby Home Theater V4". But the sound of "Dolby Home Theater V4" has more bass and more function (like Graphic Equalizer, more Intelligent Equalizer etc.).

Is this an update or what?
What should I choose?

The newer driver (for Windows 8.1) or older driver (for Dolby Home Theater V4)? Smiley Frustrated

Thanks. (confused now) @@

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 42,657
Message 2 of 13

Re: Dolby Home Theater V4 changed to Dolby Digital Plus after Realtek Audio Driver update Windows 8.

I only installed audio driver ver. 6.0.1.6798 which includes Dolby Home Theater V4. Since no issues are encountered I have not updated to the latest version for my unit (ver. 6.0.1.7027). Does this Dolby Digital Plus mentioned by you better than V4 in some aspect aside from the ones that you already stated?

leejh96
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,641
Message 3 of 13

Re: Dolby Home Theater V4 changed to Dolby Digital Plus after Realtek Audio Driver update Windows 8.

Nope.
DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS
Advantages:
*sounded more louder and crisper.
*newer software (2013).
Disadvantages:
*no bass
*no function (like we can tune the equalizer).
* "Intelligent Equalizer" is less (just got 3).
*the "Custom Profile" that we can create is just got 1 or 2(forgot @@).

DOLBY HOME THEATER V4
Advantages:
*louder bass
*can tune the equalizer likely.
*more "Intelligent Equalizer" (6)
*more "custom profile" (6)
Disadvantages:
*older software (2012)
*not louder sound

Besides, the bottom of the "Dolby Digital Plus" got 3 buttons which is Surround Sound, Dialogue Enhancer and...(forgot==).
The button can only SWITCH ON/OFF.
CANNOT tune the amount that we want like we are using "Home Theater V4".

That was the different that I found.
And, thanks for your reply. Smiley Very Happy

Guru
Views: 37,333
Message 4 of 13

Hi all

Could you try out DAA or DHTLightweight from my link and just install the Dolby software without overriding your Realtek Driver? I am not sure whether would it work, but worth a try. I have tried on Y460, W520 and G560 with great experience.

If the older Dolby software does not work with your existing Realtek driver, you could install the DAA or DHTLightweight with their driver to overwrite and see how it goes.

Thank You

Peter

ThinkPad W520 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | IdeaPad K1 | IdeaPad Yoga 11s | Miix 2 10" | 3000 Y300 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | Please do not send me an e-mail regarding technical questions | I am not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet

Guru
Views: 37,330
Message 5 of 13

@leejh

Thank You for your sharing. I agree on most of your points.

For my 11s*, the default settings for Dolby Digital Plus is slightly louder compared to Dolby Home Theater. However, if you know how to equalize it with DHTv4 (older software), it could be much louder than the new Dolby Digital Plus.

*Results may vary from different machine.

Peter

ThinkPad W520 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | IdeaPad K1 | IdeaPad Yoga 11s | Miix 2 10" | 3000 Y300 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | Please do not send me an e-mail regarding technical questions | I am not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet

Lacxp
What's DOS?
Views: 30,473
Message 6 of 13

Hi all,

If anyone still has some interest in reverting Back to home theater v4 I have a better solution for That.

Download the latest realtek driver, That incluedes Dolby (filename:..Realtek....+Dolby) From here: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/Drivers/Realtek/Audio/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-...
Install it as usual, Than reboot. After this go to the downloaded realtek folder and look for: DS1->x64/x86->DolbyDigitalPlusHT (HT means home theater, AA-advanced audio) Install it, reboot, thats it Smiley Wink

In windows sound setting the Dolby button stays the same, but with the newly installed program u can set the same **bleep** as u could in the older home theater v4 app. I recommend putting Dolby D.P. Shortcut onto the desktop, because it wont show up on system tray and so you can manage the sound settings easily Smiley Wink

Also If you enable dynamic normalizer in desktop app That is default when you switch to Music setting the loudness Will be the same as previous versions...

Have a great Day!!

erpster-le0
What's DOS?
Views: 28,193
Message 7 of 13

It looks like the Realtek and Conexant audio drivers made in late 2013 and beyond are defaulting to the newer Dolby Digital Plus (I call "V5") instead of Dolby PCEE4 (V4) because of an audio architectural change in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Here are some other minor differences between Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Home Theater V4.

Dolby Home Theater V4 application software is 32bit only but can run on either 32bit or 64bit Windows; the V4 software installs in the \Program Files (x86)\ folder if installed on x64 Windows.  The Dolby PCEE4 (V4) audio processing object [APO] DLL files bundled with Realtek & Conexant audio drivers do come in 32bit & 64bit though.

Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater application software is offered in both 32bit and 64bit editions and is more compliant to the audio standards of Windows 8.1 & 10.

house3272
Blue Screen Again
Views: 28,148
Message 8 of 13

So for newer machines, does this mean we're stuck with V5's horrid user interface?

(please say no)

Edit: Figured out what Lacxp was talking about.

The extracted 7z folder contains the DS1 he mentioned.

Though that didn't work for me and installed the never version, not the V4.

I can install the V4 via the .msi in the folder right under it, PCEE4, but it has no effect at all on the sound.....

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 25,896
Message 9 of 13
Moved:

(W520) Dolby Home Theater V4 changed to Dolby Digital Plus after Realtek Audio Driver update Windows 8.

Am_K_R
Paper Tape
Views: 24,857
Message 10 of 13

so do you know what to do?

i have Realtek High Definition Audio on Windows 10 and Dolby Home Theater v4 is not working? any help?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors