Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasius
Punch Card
Views: 1,133
Message 1 of 6

Downgrade from 8.1 to 8 y500

What is the smoothest way to get back to Windows 8 from Windows 8.1 having only half the preformance because Lenovo is too lazy to make that VBIOS we need in the time they had, the preview of 8.1 was there for them to FIX THE SLI ISSUE before 8.1 came out.

Is there a very easy Lenovo way to get back to 8? When I was trying to install 8.1 and it repeatedly failed it would roll back my windows 8 setup perfectly, is there any chance that still exisits on the hard drive somewhere?

Thank you for any help.

Psyrecx
802.11n
Views: 1,113
Message 2 of 6

Re: Downgrade from 8.1 to 8 y500

Half the performance in what way?

Seems to run exactly the same as 8, but with a few extra features.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
jasius
Punch Card
Views: 1,090
Message 3 of 6

Oh sorry, you didn't realize that the SLi doesn't work in 8.1 and the drivers they've "released" actually don't activate SLi properly in games(proven by activating the SLi indicator in the nvidia control panel).
Psyrecx
802.11n
Views: 1,084
Message 4 of 6

No, what you didn't realize is that by going back a few driver updates SLI will work. Just the current Nvidia drivers aren't properly setup for Windows 8.1.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
jasius
Punch Card
Views: 1,003
Message 5 of 6

I doesn't actually work properly in most games it'll lock it up, the OLDER DRIVERS do not have PROPER SLi PROFILES. Do not fight, just move on, you're not helping, I'm talking about rolling back drivers, thanks.
KDLGates
Core Memory
Views: 993
Message 6 of 6

Jasius, please advise if you find an easier method than this. I only know the "normal" way to restore one of these laptops. If you find a "smooth" way to roll back, I will try it too, but I have not heard of any such way yet (for example, all of the Windows restore points from before the Win 8.1 install were automatically deleted on my system).

Personally, I am not going to through these full restoration steps because if Lenovo does not acknowledge this issue, or provide software support for Windows 8.1 soon, I am returning the laptop to the retailer.

Assuming the y500 is like the y510p (which I suspect is likely), Lenovo has a "one-key restore" feature that can take the laptop back to its factory state, or use a user-created restore point (probably from some Lenovo restore tool -- I wish I had used it in between getting my laptop and Windows 8.1 coming out due to the current lack of Lenovo software for the Ultrabay adapter)

So, in short, power off your laptop, then press the tiny button behind the port for the AC power (Lenovo has a fancy name for this button that starts with an 'N', but I've forgotten it), then your laptop should power on and boot into a restoration program that gives you the option.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors