cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkillilea
Paper Tape
Views: 3,835
Message 1 of 7

Downgrading OS from W8 -> W7 will i void warranty?

I bought a Y510P for college and most of the software i use for engineering is not suported by Windows 8 so its essiental i can run my laptop on 7 otherwise its useless to me. would i void my warranty if i downgrade or attempt to dual boot my system? Can i get assistance in what to do as i have exams in the next two weeks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,763
Message 2 of 7

Re: Downgrading OS from W8 -> W7 will i void warranty?

hi rkillilea,

Welcome to the Forums.

Looking at the hardware aspects, you will still be able to get warranty support if the fault is a hardware related issue (i.e. keys on the keyboard are not working, No Power, etc.). However, if you're in the Windows 7 OS and the issue is software related (some softwares aren't working, sound driver have less features, there's an unknown device in Device Manager, etc) then you may not be able to get warranty support for these type of issues as they usually support only the preloaded OS.

Alternatively, there's a premium software department of lenovo that handles software concerns and you may contact them if any issue arises on both OS (fees may apply).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

rkillilea
Paper Tape
Views: 3,748
Message 3 of 7

Re: Downgrading OS from W8 -> W7 will I void warranty?

My problem is I tried to dual boot the system but it did not work, windows 8 is still my OS but when I turn on the machine it brings me to the boot manager to choose between 'Windows setup rollback' and 'windows 8'. Have I done damage and have I voided the warranty? I extended the warranty and accident protection to 3 years. Could I get assistance on how to put my laptop back to the normal way without being diverted to the boot manager everytime I turn on my machine?

Thanks so much
Ember
Punch Card
Views: 3,742
Message 4 of 7

Why would installing software void the hardware warrenty? Come on, if you are going to be an engineering, think about it for two seconds Smiley Tongue

You can downgrade (or, perhaps "upgrade" if you are like me) from Windows 8 to Windows 7 easily.

You are going to have to get into your BIOS setup menu by powering on and pressing F2 while at the Lenovo boot screen, when in the menu turn off secure boot by switching from "UEFI" to "Legacy" boot mode. Ensure the boot device order is how you want it (probably DVD then HDD). Exit the BIOS menu, saving changes.

Put in your Windows 7 install DVD and boot from it. Do a custom install and delete all the partitions from the hard disk to wipe Windows 8, then install Windows 7 normally. Install drivers as provided on Lenovo's support page for the y510p.

Why would you want to dual boot Windows 8 and Windows 7? There is really no purpose other than Metro.

Guru
Views: 3,730
Message 5 of 7

Depending on what kind of software you run maybe using VirtualBox could be enough?

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
rkillilea
Paper Tape
Views: 3,716
Message 6 of 7

I was under the illusion that if I voided any part of the warranty (either software or hardware) I lost my complete warranty and that is why I was stressing 'void' so much as I extended the warranty by 3 years, also this is my 1st lenovo and didn't know lenovos story with changing OS and keeping warranty..

Yea I have tried that but the GPT style partition wont allow W7 to install on my machine, however I only tried this when I tried to dual boot.. Most of the engineering software I use wont run on 8 and I had grown to like W8 so I think ill run 7 on VM

Thanks for yer help though 

rkillilea
Paper Tape
Views: 3,713
Message 7 of 7

ill be running Windows 7 on VM and be running programmes like Xilinx Planahead.. iv plenty of RAM to allocate to VM 

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors