cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy_nfshs
Paper Tape
Views: 2,519
Message 1 of 3

Dual Boot / Multi Boot .(y510) XP and Vista how I finally got it to work.

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad y510

After looking around on the forums I saw alot of people saying it could be done but could not find any step-by-step directions on how to do it. So after searching the internet I finaly found a good step-by-step that showed how to do the hard part but needed some changes for this laptop.

1) First the easy part but a very important part. It is very important to download vistabootpro and the Lan Driver for XP before you start the whole process. Don't install yet though just download them. This is necessary because the ethernet card is incompatiable with XP and you will not be able to access the internet after installing XP. (Also if you want it might save sometime if you download all the XP drivers right now)

2) Installing XP. For this step follow this link.  (Also note you need to go to the bios menu and set your sata to compatibility mode)

3) After following the link I still kept getting the error ntldr missing. Then I logged onto vista and reinstalled vistabootpro in the vista drive also. Go to the "System Bootloader" tab on top, then I clicked the radiobuttons for "Windows legacy bootloader (uninstall vista bootloader)" and "All Drives" and clicked apply. Then I went to the "Manage OS Entries" tab on top and clicked windows xp and checked off "set as default". I restarted computer and then it automatically logged into XP. Now go into vistabootpro while logged into XP, go to the "System Bootloader" tab on top, then I clicked the radiobuttons for "Windows Vista bootloader (uninstall legacy bootloader)" and "Specific Drive". Choose the drive that your windows vista is installed on and click apply and now everything should work.

4)Test if everything works. Restart computer and choose Vista to log on and then restart computer again and test if XP works also.

5) Install the LAN driver that you downloaded (whiled logged on XP). Go to the lenovo support and downloads page and download and install the rest of the XP drivers if you didn't download all of them already.

I hope this helps.

Message Edited by Happy_nfshs on 07-02-2008 12:31 AM
Message Edited by Happy_nfshs on 07-02-2008 12:32 AM
Message Edited by Happy_nfshs on 07-02-2008 12:33 AM
funkyman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,269
Message 2 of 3

Re: Dual Boot / Multi Boot .(y510) XP and Vista how I finally got it to work.

Great write up
vivek486
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,562
Message 3 of 3

Re: Dual Boot / Multi Boot .(y510) XP and Vista how I finally got it to work.

iam suffering from the same problem .. can u pls send me download link of the lan driver for xp

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors