cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sfairat
802.11n
Views: 5,242
Message 11 of 80

Re: Dual-band wifi card supported by Y580?

By the way, 168c 0034 is Atheros AR9462, and qualcomm's website claims that it's dual-band. The only problem with it is that  I couldn't find it on amazon or ebay for sell, and it'd be even harder to find the one with compatible IDs. It's kinda interesting that hw maintenance guide doesn't list it.

Also, 1) I don't recommend you to use intel wireless cards, and I can describe why, and 2) I don't recommend you to flash bios until lenovo publishes bios update on it's website.

SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,222
Message 12 of 80

I'd be curious why you recommend against intel wifi cards ... it seems an upgrade from a combined centrino wifi/bt card to a newer centrino wifi/bt card would have the best chance for avoiding hardware incompatibilities ...
Sfairat
802.11n
Views: 5,219
Message 13 of 80

http://communities.intel.com/thread/19370?start=0&tstart=0

http://communities.intel.com/thread/16772

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home/Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N6200-AGN-wifi-locks-up-...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1157625

That's why. To cut the long story short, certain intel wlan cards are incompatible with certain laptop models. One intel wlan card may work the given laptop normally, and other may not, it's hard to say whether certain intel card will work with your laptop until you try it yourself. Though the chances that it won't work seem to be small, I had the same issue with mine y570 & intel 6300n, and I could do nothing with it, it dropped connection/froze system completely every two-three minutes under heavy load. The card itself wasn't bad, I checked it on several other laptops and it worked fine on them, laptop itself works good with ar9280 and behaves normally on 150-200 mbps dl/ul speeds. AFAIK it doesn't depend on drivers or OS, it only depends on combination of laptop with wlan card.

So, I changed my wlan card to ar9280, which has good performance & is also compatible with mac os x)

SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,213
Message 14 of 80

Interesting ... pretty sure I have an Atheros-based AGN (but no bt) card in my Asus netbook/hackintosh. I could always try that card, as I really have little use for bt anyway.

I'll take a look at those links, I wasn't aware of any issues.
jaguar2010
Paper Tape
Views: 5,160
Message 15 of 80

I am interested in getting Atheros AR9462 as well. Let me know if you find one and it works! Don't want to go the BIOS mod route.

multimaha
Punch Card
Views: 4,974
Message 16 of 80

Ah...deja vu.  I went through this same stuff with my y560.

I've recently bought a y580, and also bought an Intel wireless card for it, after seeing that it mostly likely came with the same crappy card my y560 did...completely forgetting about Lenovo's white-list.  Oops.

I'm going to give your link a try and buy this wireless card.  If it works, I'll post back on here and let you all know.  In the meantime, I'm also going to look for other solutions and I'll post back here if I have any luck.  Shipping on this card is gonna be a little on the slow side (slow boat from - rather than to - China), so I'll have time to kill.

SH

SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,969
Message 17 of 80

After getting no useful information from the seller, I decided to pass and wait for a bios update.  I have seen a first attempt at a whitelist-free bios on another forum, but so far I haven't seen any reports of anyone trying it.

Good luck with the ebay card ... I sincerely hope it works!

multimaha
Punch Card
Views: 4,907
Message 18 of 80

multimaha
Punch Card
Views: 4,871
Message 19 of 80

I ordered up the card and got this response:

"Thank you for your order, we are getting our first shipment of these PCI
Express cards at the end of this week.  We will ship your order as soon as
we receive our shipment."

I ordered it with ground shipping, so with luck I should see it in two weeks.  I think that's about when the other card is due in, so either way, maybe we'll get a solution to this soon.

SH

SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,851
Message 20 of 80

Sweet, thanks for keeping us posted!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors