cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,803
Message 51 of 80

Re: Dual-band wifi card supported by Y580?

Sweet, definitely going to pick up these parts and give it a shot.  Thanks!

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,762
Message 52 of 80

@snakeopus121

Just received this in the post, plugged in and I get the "unauthorised wireless network card" of death screen when I boot up.

All the numbers on the card match yours perfectly except the very last, which starts the same but ends differently. (Is this the NIC MAC, seeing as it has 12 characters?)

Was your laptop second user? Maybe the previous owner has already applied the bios hack?

Edit, I'm going to go through the hacked bios flash process. Will report back.

SoloTSi97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,752
Message 53 of 80

I haven't gotten around to ordering the parts, but intend to ... just too many other projects at present!

That last number (that starts with Z?) isn't a MAC, a MAC would be hexadecimal so it wouldn't have letters higher than F.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, though I suppose it could be a serial number?

I've long since installed the modified BIOS on my laptop, though, so it working in mine unfortunately won't answer any questions about yours.

snakeopus121
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,748
Message 54 of 80

@@admin0389

@admin0389 wrote:

@@snakeopus121

Just received this in the post, plugged in and I get the "unauthorised wireless network card" of death screen when I boot up.

All the numbers on the card match yours perfectly except the very last, which starts the same but ends differently. (Is this the NIC MAC, seeing as it has 12 characters?)

Was your laptop second user? Maybe the previous owner has already applied the bios hack?

Edit, I'm going to go through the hacked bios flash process. Will report back.

@admin0389

Really? Wow that suprises me.....

No I am orginal owner - I bought this laptop new......

Is there any screen grabs or additional information I can provide you to help? 

It worked perfectly for me...... 

Smiley Sad 

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,736
Message 55 of 80

Thanks guys for getting back to me so quick Smiley Happy (Good point about the MAC btw, should have spotted that as a programmer Smiley Wink )

snakeopus121, Hmm, not sure what info might help. My bios screen print out is as follows

Product Name: Invalid (my laptop is 2nd user, do you think this means mine has been messed with?)

BIOS Version: 5DCN90WW(V8.01)

EC Version: 5DEC90WW(V8.01)

I notice my bios version says 90WW, the latest one on the Lenovo site ends in 40WW. I wonder if the previous owner of my laptop has flashed the hacked bios which raises the GPU clock to 1000MHz before they removed the WLAN NIC whitelist?

snakeopus121
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,726
Message 56 of 80

I don't know if it will help you - but here's two bios screen grabs I just took.....(just so you know exactly what I have)

bios2.jpg

Moderator Note; picture showing system  s/n removed to prevent possible abuse

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,720
Message 57 of 80

Hmm, that's very interesting.

Grrrr I wish I had the origional bios on mine :/ I have no idea what's been done to this now.

I'm going to try and flash the latest 8.01 whitelist-removed bios from techinferno as I think that will be a lot safer than trying to reflash the latest offical firmware over a modded bios.

I'm still confused as to how your unmodded bios managed to accept a card that isn't on the whitelist? I was under the impression from a previous post that none of the whitelisted cards support 5GHz (though I admit I haven't reviewed the list myself)

I'll report back as soon as it's done.

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,714
Message 58 of 80

Ok I installed the hacked bios from the link in my previous post. A very tense few minutes, but everything went smoothly and it works great Smiley Happy

The files you need are all linked on that forum but you have to pay to download, though if you just google the file names, you'll find them all at zippyshare.com.

Edit: Don't forget to buy the OP on that guide a beer though! I donated $5

I went from 8.01 -> 'hacked' 8.01 and now the system is booting into Windows fine with the 6300AGN as recommended by snakeopus121.

I still need to fit the third antenna, but initial performance seems great Smiley Happy

snakeopus121
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,703
Message 59 of 80

Glad you got it working! Installing the antenna isn't too bad - just plan on like an hour of delicate disassembly / assembly....

I guess I have no idea why mine worked....

Would be curious if someone else with an unmodified bios tries it....
snakeopus121
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,685
Message 60 of 80

Moderators:  Thank you for protecting my computer's serial number - it was silly for me to post up my bios like that....

Also - sorry for posting enormous pictures in an earlier post....lol

Anyway - wanted to post up my bios/mobo number just as reference for the community - as I see this wifi issue still isn't fully laid to rest yet......

** but wanted to give a shout-out to the mods for being patient and understanding with me Smiley Wink 

EDIT *******************

Figured I'd include all my info in this post just so anyone searching for info can have it all in one place.....

I installed the Intel 6300 AGN wifi card in my unmodified (apart from SSD) y580 without any additional effort....I swapped cards (installed 3rd antenna) and booted up ---- Windows 8.1 (64 bit) recognized the card and automatically installed and updated the drivers.......

That's it......

admin0389 did not have the same experience - and he documented that above.....

Again - this post is a reference of my experience for the community......the following is documentation of what I bought/installed and my computer's setup.......

Any questions - please post up and I'll answer Smiley Happy

wifi card I installed:

Wifi Card

the wifi card in Device Manager:

Intel 6300 AGN - device manager

wifi card physically installed:

Intel 6300 AGN installed in Lenovo y580

antenna installed in conjuction with Intel 6300 AGN:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZHT2JE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Location of antenna installation:

Posting with antenna installation instructions:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2885-lenovo-y580-how-install-3rd-antenna.html

My computer's bios (without SN  Smiley Wink  )

bios1.jpg

That's all I know guys......it worked for me......Admin got it working too with more work.....

Just want to give back to the community that inspired me to swap my wifi card and SSD - both were successful and my Y580 kick ass soooo hard....16gb RAM upgrade next  Smiley Happy

Hit me up with any questions!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors