cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dutchie11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,657
Message 61 of 80

Re: Dual-band wifi card supported by Y580?

Hello @snakeopus121@admin0389 and everybody else!

Registered for this forum first and foremost to say thank you for the very useful information.

A bit of background: I am the original owner of my Y580 and did not install any newer or modified BIOS. The Y580 came with Windows 8 but I actually prefer Windows 7 so installed that instead (fully licensed). I upgraded my Y580 with a SSD (Crucial M4 512GB) instead of the original hard drive it came with, as well as 16GB of memory (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600 MHz 12800 CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10). I am aware that only 8GB is officially supported. I use this system to edit full-length Full HD movies using Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects (taking advantage of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M) and the system is definitely using all of the memory. In fact everything is working stellar!

As I was unhappy with the WiFi performance I bought the exact same WiFi card and antenna as you both bought. I installed the third antenna in the same way, which was easy due to the very detailed information available here. I actually expected everything to work properly, but when I restarted I received the "unauthorised wireless network card" message.

I don't have a problem installing a modified BIOS if necessary, but perhaps my situation can help shed light on the question how @snakeopus121 was able to install this card without issue while @admin0389 got the same message as I got. Apparently @admin0389 was not the original owner of his system and his BIOS may have been upgraded or modified before he got the system, while I am the original owner and my BIOS has not been changed. So if you guys can let me have your questions, I will answer them here before I do anything to my BIOS. In that way I can perhaps give something back to the community.

Cheers!

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,640
Message 62 of 80

For completeness, my system is running Windows 7 too (though I expect this is very unlikely to affect the 'unauthorised...' message)

Mods (other than the wireless mod in this thread):

Replaced the 1TB HD with a 500gb Samsung Evo

Added a Kingston 32gb msata for dual-booting into debian

Unfortunately I didn't record any of the bios settings before flashing Smiley Sad Though, as mentioned in a previous post, the details for my bios (that didn't accept the 6300AGN) were as follows.

Product Name: Invalid

BIOS Version: 5DCN90WW(V8.01)

EC Version: 5DEC90WW(V8.01)

The product sticker:

Link to image

I made a backup of my original bios so if there is anything you would like me to check in it (using a hex editor etc) then please let me know.

Edit: Oh I forgot to say, if you need any help with the flashing please let me know Smiley Happy I still have all the files and my notes.

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

dutchie11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,618
Message 63 of 80

Thanks very much for the information and your kind offer @admin0389!

Here is the information from my Y580:

Product Name: Lenovo IdeaPad Y580

BIOS Version: 5DCN90WW(V8.01) - seems the same as yours

EC Version: 5DEC90WW(V8.01) - seems the same as yours
See my BIOS information screen (IDs removed):

Link to image 1

The product sticker from my Y580 (IDs removed):

Link to image 2

Anything else you think I should check, record and take a photo of before I attempt to flash?
And how did you make a backup of your BIOS? I would like to do that as well.

Edit - never mind that last question; I see the instructions for flashing the V8.01 BIOS require you to make a backup of the original BIOS.

Thanks!

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

dutchie11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,559
Message 64 of 80

Just to report back here: I flashed the BIOS last night according to the instructions on TechInferno and all is well. My Y580 now connects to WiFi reliably at 300 Mbps!
Thanks!
MsChelle
What's DOS?
Views: 1,485
Message 65 of 80

Has anyone else given this a try? I plan on purchasing both the extra antenna and the wifi card and giving it a shot with mine. My Laptop's stock wifi card is terrible. I'm like 5 feet from the router and will sometimes have issues with getting a connection. 

Just a curious question, what does the 3rd antenna do? Could you put in the card without the antenna?

FiveEighteen
Punch Card
Views: 1,431
Message 66 of 80

I successfully modified by BIOS to remove the whitelist, and ordered the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card. Swapping the cards went fine, and I don't receive an error when booting, but no wireless adapter shows up in my connections list. In the Device Manager, I get the following message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I've read that this should be something with the drivers, but I've tried updating through Intel (and restarting) amongst other things, and it won't pick it up.

Another interesting fact: I had dual booted with Windows 10, and it picked it up fine there right away and was working!

Does anyone have any information that may help me get this installed properly? Thanks.

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,419
Message 67 of 80

Hmmm, interesting. The fact that it's functioning well in 10 makes me think software. Some things I would try in order...

Possible Solution 1:

Clean up any devices that might have overlapping resource requirements. What I mean to say here is that we should try and remove any memory your system has of the old card. Have a network cable handy!

1) Open command prompt and type the following commands

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

The first command will make device manager show detached devices, the second will open device manager

2) Click on 'view' and select 'Show hidden devices'

3) Expand your network adapters list and do the following for everything wifi INCLUDING your 6300AGN

3a) Right click on the device and select 'uninstall'

3b) If the option to delete drivers presents itself then make sure it's checked.

4) Plug in your network cable and make sure you have internet

5) Right click on your computer name at the top and select "Scan for hardware changes"

6) Let windows install the 6300N.

Possible Solution 2:

If that doesn't work, then I would be tempted to reseat the card. It may well be that Win7 is trying to access it in a way that requires a pin with poor contact. Unlikely, but worth a go.

Take time to inspect both the card and socket for debris. If you feel you need to clean then just be careful, the pin contacts are easily bent and the metallic coating on the card is easily scrubbed off or corroded by cleaning products.

Possible Solution (sort of) 3:

Believe it or not I used to have a PC that wouldn't start cold. You literally had to start the thing with a hairdryer (bad-ass, I know). The physics behind something like that is just thermal expansion creating better contact. Try to gently heat the card up with a hair dryer then start the machine. If you get results from this method alone then you probably have a poor contact somewhere, almost certainly irreparable (unless you know where it is and you're brave enough to reflow)

Beware that fast moving warm air over surfaces can build up static electricity. Don't be tempted to touch the card whilst you're doing this.

This kind of problem is very intermittent, which may be a possible explanation for your success with 10.

I hope this helps. Please report back Smiley Happy

FiveEighteen
Punch Card
Views: 1,394
Message 68 of 80

I recently lost power during a Windows Update rollback, so I've been busy trying to get my BCD back in order. Haven't lost any data, thankfully, but I reinstalled Windows 10 anyways because I was getting an error saying the signature couldn't be verified to boot it. But even after reinstalling, the original driver that the wireless card installs (15.10.5.1 from 10/31/2013) is working properly.

I tried your Solution 1 without success. I haven't tried reseating the card or using a heat source, but at this point, with it working every single time I launch into Windows 10, I don't think that's the issue. I actually think my issue is something to do with my Windows 8 installation itself. I can't install any updates; they all end up saying "Unable to install, undoing changes" without any error code. I think I might just end up trying to reinstall Windows 8 after my final exams this week and see if that will help this whole situation.

sackgi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,365
Message 69 of 80

Did you figure it out which bluetooth is the intel card?

zwillX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,268
Message 70 of 80

to chime in, I've ordered the HP Intel 6300AGN Pci-e Wirless Wifi N Card as recommended!  If I have to go white bios, fine I guess.. only 1 yr left on warranty and this is the biggest issue!  However, I defaulted w win 8 and haven't touched anything so my hopes are that my results will be more like snakeopus.  Good work guys!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors