cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zwillX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,126
Message 71 of 80

Re: Dual-band wifi card supported by Y580?

yyeaap. @snakeopus121 mine didn't plug n play either, stopped before boot with the warning. I'm not upset, I was kinda hoping for the best/easy fix.. BUT the white bios upgrades GPU speed!! So, I mighta gone that route anyway Smiley Wink Anyway you got lucky!!

I joined tech inferno at least and managed to get up to 5 legit posts before my card arrive so at least I can save $10 and still get the dude a beer haha

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,096
Message 72 of 80

@zwillX

I wouldn't worry about warranty. As long as any fault that develops isn't related to the bios flash you should be fine.

I recently had my screen replaced after the mod and everything went smoothly. Took a month, but otherwise great service and they didn't question the bios at all. (I'm based in the UK and it went to a German repair centre via Medion).

I was told on the phone that the addition of an mSATA drive wouldn't affect the screen warranty because they are unrelated so I can confirm that is Lenovo policy, bios mod is obviously a bit further, but like I say, as long as it doesn't affect whatever fault develops you should be fine.

Bear in mind that it would be reasonable to refuse warranty on a fried GPU or other thermal related failures after the mod for obvious reasons.

Follow the steps very carefully. Make a whole evening out of researching what to do and ask questions here if something isn't clear and you'll be fine.

Another word of warning, the unlocked bios reveals a ton of features. Don't be tempted to steam in there and change everything, I've heard reports of people bricking their system after changing some of the more obscure settings. (Not broken, don't fix it!)

zwillX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,088
Message 73 of 80

excellent thank you @admin0309!!

oh I def have a question... starting with, **bleep** haha.  is this?!?

Untitled.png

Since you've been thru the process you may see I'm trying to back up BIOS!  All steps followed, run as admin, etc.  I haven't seen that error elsewhere..

admin0389
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,083
Message 74 of 80

Oh dear, I have terrible news for you :/

No I'm just kidding! Refer back to your guide. You should have picked up the "'Error 104' - fix.zip" along your way?

From memory:

It contains a file called fparts.txt which replaces an fparts.txt you should already have with your fptw64 utility.

(Have you had Error 28 yet? You run prr to kill that one)

I will also mention that I did all of mine from DOS, I didn't know you could do it from windows. 

zwillX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,076
Message 75 of 80

SUPER!!  Thank you!  Stupid not to put the 2 together but no one ever specified the error details!

Smiley Happy  On to the next 20 steps haha

aaanndd just like that running intel 6300 ultimate N!  Kinda anti-climactic.. didn't even tell me it was installing hardware!  But, all set.  If fparts.txt isn't right the first time (error 104) you have to put it in both win64 and DOS (final USBdrive) directories.  w64 worked great for backing up.  Thx all!  Off to buy sv17 a brew!

FiveEighteen
Punch Card
Views: 2,044
Message 76 of 80

After finally getting around to reinstalling Windows 8.1, my Windows updates as well as the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card are both working directly from setup!

EDIT: with modded BIOS

snakeopus121
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,027
Message 77 of 80

Wow - I was beginning to think my easy setup was a complete fluke...Glad someone else had the same luck Smiley Wink

Overall, I have to say that the new wifi card is far superior than the original....For a laptop as well equipped as the Y-580, I don't understand why it shipped with such a crappy wifi card...

FiveEighteen
Punch Card
Views: 2,015
Message 78 of 80

@snakeopus121, no, yours really was a fluke haha. I flashed the modded whitelist BIOS. If you read a page back, I had issues with my wifi card being recognized at all on Win8.1, among other things.. Reinstalling it fixed all of my issues.
Hashraf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,934
Message 79 of 80

@hello @snakeopus121 @admin0389

im just wondering if u're using windows 8.1 on y580. if yes, any compatibility issues?

and where do you put the receiver of the third antenna?

and my bios version is v2.07

can i upgrade it to v8.01 like you both

because ive already bought the intel centrino 6300 and the extra antenna

Link to picture/image

Mod comment: Over sized picture converted to link.

@snakeopus121 wrote:

I don't know if anyone is still wondering about this......but I can put this topic to rest.

I found a plug and play wifi card - no bios or anything needed.....I installed it and it was instantly recognized and active (it detected the wireless networks upon bootup)...

This card has three antenna ports, and I installed a 3rd antenna....

Performance is amazing.....If anyone wants any info on it just post up.....

I really was unhappy with the performance of the original wifi, but had been sitting on the fence for a long time due to the uncertainity of successful replacements....

well - this one worked perfectly for me....

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to image 3

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Circa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,586
Message 80 of 80

I realize I'm kind of necro-ing this thread but after reading over the 8 pages I didn't find a clear answer.

I google a bit and everyone links back to this exact thread instead of providing an answer.

I already have the modified bios installed, a router supporting MIMO/HT, and just need to find a dual band wireless card to pop in.

I'd like an AC dual band card, just for future proofing.

From what I've gathered here are my choices:

ABGN: Intel 6300AGN

ABGN+Ac: Intel 7260

Which dual band wireless card is everyone going with? and will I need to buy an antenna in addition to the card?

Lenovo Y580
Hardware Failures: Cooling Fan, Hard Drive, Keyboard, Power Adapter, RAM, Touchpad, USB 3.0 port.
Proud to own a Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors