Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nickleno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,164
Message 1 of 4

Dual boot UEFI Z500 Windows 10

I purchased Lenovo Z500 with Windows 8 installed on it. When Windows 10 upgrade started rolling out, I moved to Windows 10 Home.

I have been running into some issues with my activation so had been trying to reset to factory default but that is also not happening.

I created a Windows 10 UEFI bootable disk and went to the BIOS to set the USB as the first bootable disk in the list but it doesn't show up there.

Now it did show up earlier (without me changing any setting in BIOS) when I was trying to do recovery using System Image Recovery option with Recovery Image in the USB. Anyways, now I'm trying to install the Windows 10 from scratch and then Ubuntu 16.x alongside Win10 however stuck at this very phase.

I read quite a lot about UEFI and Secure boot and see that in my Boot menu UEFI is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. Please refer the screenshots.

Can someone explain me in detail that with this setting in BIOS what could be going wrong with my steps where UEFI bootable USB is not detected?

Also, in addition to that if someone can point me to the latest document/discussion for Dual Boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I might have it bookmarked but just in case.

I would appreciate quick and detailed response.

Thank you in advance.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,114
Message 2 of 4

Re: Dual boot UEFI Z500 Windows 10

@Nickleno wrote:

I created a Windows 10 UEFI bootable disk and went to the BIOS to set the USB as the first bootable disk in the list but it doesn't show up there.

I don't have any experience of the Z500, so the following is just guesswork:

(1) Enter the BIOS and:

(a) Enable "Legacy Support".

(b) Enable "Legacy First".

(c) Exit, saving the changes.

(2) With the system powered off, plug in the USB memory stick.

(3) Power on the system using the "Novo" button.

(4) On the "Novo Button Menu", select "Boot Menu".

(5) On the"Boot Menu", the USB memory stick should now be listed.

(a) Select the memory stick and press the ENTER key to start booting from the memory stick.

(b) If the memory stick is listed twice, one entry will be for UEFI boot, and the other for MBR boot.  The names should indicate which is which.  If your disk is GPT, you must use UEFI boot.

(c) The installation image on the USB memory stick must have been created to permit UEFI install. 

(6) Once installation is complete, you can re-enter the BIOS and change "Legacy Support" back to "UEFI".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Nickleno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,100
Message 3 of 4

Thanks @CyberSImian for the suggestion.

I read the exact same thing in one of the posts. I'm just little skeptical about changing the boot mode to Legacy.

I would need a detailed explanation as what it will exactly do and not do. Also, as you mentioned in Step 6 we can change the boot mode back to UEFI from Legacy...will that be enough to successfully boot back to currently installed Windows 10?

To boot from a UEFI bootable USB (when UEFI mode is enabled in boot), why is it required to turn the boot mode to Legacy? 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,092
Message 4 of 4

@Nickleno wrote:

To boot from a UEFI bootable USB (when UEFI mode is enabled in boot), why is it required to turn the boot mode to Legacy? 

The USB memory stick can be MBR or GPT (I think).  If it is MBR, the laptop won't boot it unless "Legacy Support" is enabled.  However, it is still possible to install in UEFI mode, even if the memory stick is MBR.

The Windows Recovery memory stick is an example of this.  You create this memory stick in Windows 10 "Settings", and booting from the memory stick allows you to attempt to recover Windows, or to re-install Windows completely.  But the memory stick created is MBR, even though Windows re-installs in UEFI mode (this is the Lenovo pre-load; the Windows 10 image that you can download from Microsoft might be different).

By the way, if you have any data files on your laptop, now is the time to back them up to an external USB disk, BEFORE making any changes to the operating systems installed on your laptop.  Example: the Windows Recovery memory stick created from the Lenovo pre-load DELETES ALL PARTITIONS prior to re-installing Windows.  If you have backed-up everything that is of value to you, you can afford to indulge in some trial-and-error while investigating how to get the eventual configuration that you want.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors