Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amruemad
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 1 of 2

Dwm.exe Desktop window manager is eating up my GPU

Hello i have lenovo y50-70 with gtx960m 4gb and intel hd 4600 
I was facing a serious problem while playing or using any 3d application i found out stuttering and fps drop when i used taskmanager to check in i found out that desktop window manager dwm.exe is eating the gpu more than the app or the game am using i talked to microsoft we did troubleshoot steps and nothing success so i formatted harddrive and installing a new windows i installed drivers from the website the problem still persists i tried to update the drivers the problem still persists i don't know how to solve this issue even microsoft support couldn't help me they told me the solution on lenovo community 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 2 of 2

Re: Dwm.exe Desktop window manager is eating up my GPU

I think Microsoft sending you here is like saying "I don't know.  Go away".  The slowdown is within windows.  I don't know how much main memory you have or what you are using for a disk drive, but those are the 2 areas that provide the most general improvement in speed.  More memory is usually the first and easiest thing to try.  Memory can cut down on how often parts of the game or application need to be fetched from disk (paging) and an SSD can speed up whatever disk access is needed.  

The reality is that your machine is 3 or 4 years old and games are designed for the newest and fastest hardware.  Last year (2018) the CPUs got a lot faster for the first time in several years.  Games designed for that hardware will not appear as smooth with a system built before that time.  I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a new computer.  It is best if you can run some sort of graphics benchmark program and see if the kinds of things you do get faster.  For general graphics rendering, I like Furmark (freeware)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors