Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zuluwalker
Not applicable
Views: 2,703
Message 1 of 1

Enable Intel VT-x (Virtualization Technology) on your Lenovo 3000 Y400 laptop

I have struggled for the past few days to enable Intel VT-x on my Y400 (9454-43A) laptop, a feature that I'm in dire need of to enable 64-bit virtualization and compatibility with the latest virtualization software solutions available. I am happy to share this seemingly simple step to enable VT-x on this model/series and give credit where it's due.

For starters, read up on xtrondo's post here at the OpenSolaris Forums. You need to be able to follow the steps by having the mentioned tools, meaning you need to have a copy of symcmos as well as the other programs suggested. I deviated from this though as I used a FreeDOS environment on a USB FDD (drdflash.exe from bootdisk.com) and the shareware DOS text editor EDIT! - although you don't need a DOS text editor, this will be the quickest way to do it.

So to cut it short, what you need to change is this token:

(031B) [0000]

...and with a simple erase and replace to turn into this:

(031B) [0001]

...eventually enabling you to use your previously VT-x unsupported machine into a fully compliant one.

Thanks to xtrondo on this one, I just followed his hunch of changing the token after the [0005] and in the order that he suggested. I actually got this on my first "try/guess". Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors