Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jebcovet
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 802
Message 1 of 10

Energy Management and Batteries

Upon getting a second battery for my Ideapad Z585, I figured it would show up as "Battery 2" on the Energy Management program. Not the case. Seems as though the program does not recognize a different battery than the original. Yes, the new battery is the official Lenovo battery listed, but apparently they are all recognized as the same one? Not very handy for monitoring more than the original battery's health! Am I interpreting something wrong here?

Ideapad Z585 A10-4600m, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory, 960GB ADATA SP550 SSD, TS -LB23L DVDWBD with LightScribe, Win7 64bit
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 756
Message 2 of 10

Re: Energy Management and Batteries

Hi Jeb,

you are interpreting everything correctly,

information about the battery pack and state of charge is stored in

controlling circuit memory located inside the pack, only after you

connect this particular battery pack, all information is read out and

can be displayed by the laptop.

No data is stored by the laptop after removing the battery.

Zehn

Jebcovet
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 733
Message 3 of 10

Then unless EACH battery has its own identifier, Energy Management doesn't know or care which battery is attached. IF each battery has its own identity, then my program must not be working right. It reads both batteries as the same one. Oh well...........

Ideapad Z585 A10-4600m, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory, 960GB ADATA SP550 SSD, TS -LB23L DVDWBD with LightScribe, Win7 64bit
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 699
Message 4 of 10

Jeb...

in my humble opinion IdeaPad Notebooks are for users to watch YouTube videos, log in to Facebook and play games. :smileytongue:

The functionality you are looking for, you'll maybe find in the more $$$$$ ThinkPad business line of Notebooks.

just my two cents... Zehn

Jebcovet
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 580
Message 5 of 10

I use my Z585 for mostly buisness and I'll bet it does better than many of the Thinkpads out there. I got this model because of the fantastic price OfficeMax had at the time. This notebook is very sturdy and powerful and handles everything I can throw at it. Multitasking is a breeze and there's never a hiccup. It's also nice that when I travel, this will also play any movie or video out there and also be a pretty fair gaming unit. Don't imagine most of the Thinkpads are that versitile are they?? If the battery monitoring program is there, it aught to dang well work or don't include it.
In conclusion, your assessment of this 60 year old is way off base and an insult.
hcbr929rr2
Punch Card
Views: 551
Message 6 of 10

Moderator comment: personal comment removed.

as for your question jeb, no these computers do not recognize specific batteries, the battery monitoring program more refers to having the ability to not over charge the battery, by just holding it at 60% while its plugged in for max battery life, or having it charge fully for max battery usage when unplugged, is how I have understood it

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 528
Message 7 of 10

From Lenovo Product page...  http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/?menu-id=learn&ref-id=learn

YOU BRING THE IDEAS, WE'LL BRING THE SWAGGER.

Attention-getter, multimedia maven or gaming virtuoso – no matter what you call yourself,
our IdeaPad laptops power your imagination and your sense of self-expression. They
feature clever technology and a spectrum of equally smart designs.

Zehn

Jebcovet
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 503
Message 8 of 10

To my last poster, thanks for your input. The problem, I guess, is that the program bother to refer to the battery as Battery 1 with a drop down that looks like there could be other options should you have more than one battery. I guess that's what's been the source of my confusion. Seems that if each battery has some unique ID code, it shouldn't be that hard for the program to utilize that info. On the other hand, if Ideapad batteries DO NOT have this code, then all confusion would be negated by just eliminating the numerical designator and drop down menu! Oh well!

How about it Lenovo? Give us Ideapad owners this same small functionality.

hcbr929rr2
Punch Card
Views: 468
Message 9 of 10

agreed, the numerical designation does make it confusing, my guess is they use the exact same software for thinkpad/ideapad . As there are some thinkpad models that you can have an extra battery in the ultrabay, hence it would be showing batteries #1 and #2, its more just showing battery slots, figure your main battery slot is #1, on a thinkpad with the optional second battery in the ultrabay it would also see a battery slot #2. Now that there are ideapads with the ultrabay (y400/y500) I bet its not too long before there are ultrabay batteries available for those as well, which would make sense to use the same software across the entire lines

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 446
Message 10 of 10

Moderator comment: Please stay on topic and refrain from personal comments.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors