Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

08-08-2011

USA

45 Signins

262 Page Views

• Views: 262
  • Message 1 of 8

Error on creating recovery disk?

2013-06-17, 17:09 PM

I'm trying to create a recovery disk as part of creating a backup image of my Windows 7 installation so that I have a full image to revert back to in case I hate Windows 8.

My Lenovo Y580 wont run Windows' system recovery disk creation saying..

"System repair disc could not be created,
The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"

You can assume this system is completely clean, no bugs, no malfunctions, it is for all intents and purposes 'out of the box' with some programs installed. I'm a knowledgeable user. I don't have click-everything-malicious-online-itis. I downloaded MS's recovery disk image but my laptop wont load from it.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thank you.

Answer
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373

Re: Error on creating recovery disk?

2013-06-17, 21:26 PM

wrote:

I made the image first which then prompted me at the end to create the recovery disk. I'm just concerned that I have this image created by Windows that I'll never be able to launch again if I don't get this recovery disk sorted.
Can I create the recovery on any computer with Windows 7 like on my other computer or does it have to be created on the same system?

REgarding your solutions, thanks but my Y580 didn't come with any discs. This is a common problem for people who buy laptops and computers from retailers, even reputable ones like B&H (where I got mine) and newegg.

No I have not made the recommendation that you use the Installation disk which you may not have. It may be in those link that I have provided, if I can remember right, that another way of creating the repair disk is to use the installer disk.

Since you have the image and your only problem is the startup process which is to use the repair disk, IMO you can use a repair disk made from another unit and use it to load the image that you have.

Not sure if you can make the repair disk using this procedure found in this link (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5409/create-a-system-repair-disc-in-windows-7/).

Finally, if you can't make a recovery disk try downloading it from this link and burn it to disk: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc/.

Replies(7)
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

2013-06-17, 17:14 PM

Can you describe as much as possible how you create the recovery disk? Is it using the OKR or windows internal backup program?

Options

45 Posts

08-08-2011

USA

45 Signins

262 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2013-06-17, 17:19 PM

Through Windows "Create a system repair disc" in Backup and restore.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2013-06-17, 19:51 PM

Found the following link regarding your problem:

1. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/138005-System-repair-disc-error

2. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/unable-to-create-a-system-repair-disc-0x80070057/66b208a9-cd48-447c-98c3-e59f3553c842?page=1

Did you perform the backup to create the image file first and then the rescue disk? Or you did not perform the image file creation but just go directly to creating the rescue disk?

Options

45 Posts

08-08-2011

USA

45 Signins

262 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2013-06-17, 20:20 PM

I made the image first which then prompted me at the end to create the recovery disk. I'm just concerned that I have this image created by Windows that I'll never be able to launch again if I don't get this recovery disk sorted.
Can I create the recovery on any computer with Windows 7 like on my other computer or does it have to be created on the same system?

REgarding your solutions, thanks but my Y580 didn't come with any discs. This is a common problem for people who buy laptops and computers from retailers, even reputable ones like B&H (where I got mine) and newegg.

Answer
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2013-06-17, 21:26 PM

wrote:

No I have not made the recommendation that you use the Installation disk which you may not have. It may be in those link that I have provided, if I can remember right, that another way of creating the repair disk is to use the installer disk.

Since you have the image and your only problem is the startup process which is to use the repair disk, IMO you can use a repair disk made from another unit and use it to load the image that you have.

Not sure if you can make the repair disk using this procedure found in this link (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5409/create-a-system-repair-disc-in-windows-7/).

Finally, if you can't make a recovery disk try downloading it from this link and burn it to disk: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc/.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

45 Posts

08-08-2011

USA

45 Signins

262 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2013-06-17, 22:06 PM

I now have the image backed up via both OneKey and Windows. I just want to be able to reinstall them somehow if I need to. I'll check out those links. My biggest problem is that I can't even get my laptop to load a recovery disc at all. I've tried everything I know to get the system to load from a disc. Just not working.
Why hasn't anyone developed a way to save a backup onto a hdd instead of to a massive stack of discs? Seems silly that this can't be done.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2013-06-17, 23:23 PM

wrote:

I now have the image backed up via both OneKey and Windows. I just want to be able to reinstall them somehow if I need to. I'll check out those links. My biggest problem is that I can't even get my laptop to load a recovery disc at all. I've tried everything I know to get the system to load from a disc. Just not working.
Why hasn't anyone developed a way to save a backup onto a hdd instead of to a massive stack of discs? Seems silly that this can't be done.

If you have a backup using okr, to restore, all you to do while your notebook is off is to press the NOVO button. The location of your backup can be in the hdd or some other place. This method will restore windows including the OKR function.

If you have a backup made from windows program your image file must not be in the hdd. To restore, you have to start your notebook using your rescue disk and specify or locate the location of your image file. This method only restore windows and not the OKR function.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms