Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BGC
Paper Tape
Views: 24,064
Message 1 of 8

Eventid 153 - IO operation at logical block addres xxxx for disk 1 was retried

Have an Ideapad Y500 that is continuously locking up. Eventually I can get to the event viewer which shows a ton of errors "IO operation at logical block addres xxxx for disk 1 was retried - eventid 153." SMART data on the hard drive is flawless - nothing!

Research has pointed to the storage controller as the cause of the problem. Suggestions are to update/change the storage controller. This machine is an Intel with nVidia graphics but no nVidia storage controllers. Only controller is Microsoft's dated 2006.

Machine failed to upgrade to 8.1 as well as some other problems which may be related to an infection. However, because this is a hardware related problem, I want to address it first before moving on to any virus stuff (yes, I know viruses get into drivers....)

From the looks of this forum, this is a fairly common problem but it doesn't appear that Lenovo's techs know what to do about it. So here's a chance for you (Lenovo) to step up to the plate....

What do you know about the cause of the errors?

What can I do about them?

Where can I get a storage controller that will work?

Thanks, Tom

iDesign
802.11n
Views: 24,047
Message 2 of 8

Re: Eventid 153 - IO operation at logical block addres xxxx for disk 1 was retried

Hello Tom, head over to tech inferno, they are more advanced and more likely to help.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
BGC
Paper Tape
Views: 24,034
Message 3 of 8

Re: Eventid 153 - IO operation at logical block addres xxxx for disk 1 was retried

Are you kidding? I've poured over every post on the site you sent me to and
there is NO reference to the topic I posted.
I expect this type of technical issue to be referred to senior support not
fobbed off to a third party forum.

What gives Lenovo? This is a major error/problem and you're just sending me
somewhere else?

I own a computer repair shop and am often asked for laptop recommendations.
Heretofore, I have raved about Lenovo. Now, in light of this type of
support, I'll be reconsidering my recommendations.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,029
Message 4 of 8

@BGC...

Please recall that this is a peer-2-peer support community. As stated in the Community Guidelines:

"While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel."

If you want dedicated Lenovo support, you'll need to contact Service via the appropriate phone number for your geographical area.

In addition, Lenovo staff/employees are clearly identified on their forum badge. Just to clarify that Lenovo did not send you to a third-party site.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

BGC
Paper Tape
Views: 24,021
Message 5 of 8

When I go to support.lenovo.com, I expect my issue to be addressed by Lenovo technicians. Now you say I have to go somewhere else for real technical support.

Semantically, Lenovo did not "officially" send me to a third party site; this site did. I just made the mistake of assuming the "support.lenovo.com" would be where to get actual support from Lenovo.

So now the issue is, how do I reach the real Lenovo technical support?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,015
Message 6 of 8

To clarify, this site is forums.lenovo.com and is governed by the content in the guidelines document I linked above.

To reach dedicated Service/Support, click the Support tab at the top of the forum page, then type your model into the Product Name box, hit Enter and select your model from the returned items. On the resulting page, click the Contact Us link near the top, and then click the Support Phone List on the middle right. Near the bottom of the resulting page, select your country from the dropdown to view the contact info and hours.

Here's what I found:

United States
IDEA-branded and B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products

English
1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686

24 hours a day 7 days/week

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

BGC
Paper Tape
Views: 24,002
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the support contact info. Too bad it wasn't more helpful. So, for those having this error, here's my experience with Lenovo tech support.

First of all, MS engineer has explained the root cause of this error - basically the storage subsystem driver.

(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2013/04/30/interpreting-event-153-errors.aspx)

Further searching the itubes and this site, there a plenty of folks having this problem. None reporting a solution. I suspect they just go buy a different computer.

Assuming, for the moment, that the error is not caused by defective device - hard drive and SSD both run without errors; hard drive SMART is spotless - then I began trying to get an updated driver for the subsystem. It currently is using a MS driver dated 2006. Nothing on the Lenovo site and MS/Win8 says it is the most up-to-date driver.

Since this Y500 has been used for the warranty period without this problem, I'll assume that the problem manifested after some kind of update - Lenovo, MS, who knows. 

After several attempts to reach knowledgeable Lenovo techs, I was sent to software support. When the tech could find nothing related to this error in the database, she told me that since the machine was out of warranty I would have to pay $129 for incident support or I could buy a long term support policy. 

So ends my recommendations of Lenovo products. Good machine as long as it works. If you need tech support, it's a train wreck!

bogdan_kr
SCSI Port
Views: 23,961
Message 8 of 8

Hi BCG,

Did you perform self tests on your disks? Could you post SMART data of your both drives?

The storage driver version that should be investigated usually can be found under Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab

Lenovo's support site list Intel RST 11.0.0.1032 version of storage driver but if you use separate SSD drive it is possible this driver is too old. I believe it would be worthwhile to check the driver version and update it perhaps.

---------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P, GT755M SLI FHD, I7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, M550 512GB, Win8.1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors