Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pitch11
Paper Tape
Views: 2,550
Message 1 of 6

[FIXED!!] Lenovo Y580 Windows 8 not waking up from sleep mode

So i just upgraded my Lenovo y580 to windows 8. It came with windows 7 on it last fall, when I bought it and I decided to upgrade it to windows 8.  Everything is working fine except for when I leave my laptop too long and it goes to sleep or I put it into sleep mode.

When I try to wake it up from sleep mode the screen stays black but the keyboard and power button light up as if the laptop was on.  It will then stay in this state until I force it to shutdown.

Now hibernation works fine as well, it is just putting it into sleep mode.

I am just wondering if anyone had ran into this problem and was able to fix it.  I have seen posts all over the internet about this issue with many different laptop and systems but I could not find anything specific to my system.  Is it a windows 8 thing or is it just my laptop and how can I fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,514
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y580 Windows 8 not waking up from sleep mode

hi Pitch11,

Welcome to the Forums.

Here are the things that you could try:

1. run Windows Update to get the latest patch and bug fixes in Windows 8

2. perform a clean install of Windows 8 (this isolate issues on the OS level)

Alternatively, check this post by mike805 as he also encounted a similar issues and found a solution.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Pitch11
Paper Tape
Views: 2,503
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the windows update and everything is up to date.  So it is definitely not due to that.

I am currently going to try an older version of the bios just like mike805 did.  If that doesnt work I guess I will reinstall windows 8.

I will post an update later on.

sackgi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,491
Message 4 of 6

If you have the lenovo energy management software, turn off the hard drive saving feature. This helped me to recover from sleep mode without any issues.

Pitch11
Paper Tape
Views: 2,482
Message 5 of 6

Thank you 

Downgrading the bios from v2.07 to v2.06 worked but I then ran into issues with my wireless and bluetooth drivers.  

I then went back to bios v2.07 and did what Sackgi suggested, turning off the hard drive saving feature, and it did the trick.

Cheers

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,461
Message 6 of 6

hi tch11,

I'm glad to know you got the issue resolved.

Please do post back if you continue to get any issue.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors