CA

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 2

Faulty y40-80 battery?

2016-11-08, 19:59 PM

Hello :)

I have a Lenovo y40-80 laptop, out of warranty since 8 days, and I think the battery is either dead or faulty. I'm still hoping to find a way to fix my problem with your help.

Recap of the whole thing:

1) Battery is working perfectly, keeping its charge and giving me a couple of hours (4-6h per charge) after 1 year.

2) Warranty ends on october 31st. I thought "no need for an extension, what could happen?"

3) November 4, I take my computer to class and I'm suprise to see it's stuck at 100%. Then my computer shut down after 15 minutes (was still at 100%).

4) Plug my charger and start it right away. The gauge is now showing 0% and charging, but it's not as it stuck again at 0%.

5) Since then, either the battery level shows 100% when charged until I unplug it and it shut down fast OR it stays at 0% when I charge it and sometimes randomly goes back to 100%.

I've been searching for a solution for a couple of days, trying to uninstall the Energy manager and the ACPI pilot, but it is still defective.

Ironically, my warranty has been expired only for a couple of days and I thought about purchasing an extended warranty. Would it be possible and would it covers for my battery?

Thanks a lot! :)

Options

11816 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7069 Signins

741449 Page Views

• Views: 741449
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Faulty y40-80 battery?

2016-11-09, 5:24 AM

Hi Monte63 , 

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Batteries are considered consumable part and usually have a stand alone one year warranty (similar to a separate purchased battery) . You can try giving technical support a call specially if you have previous call record before the warranty expired as warranty extensions usually are done before the warranty expires. 

Related discussion here :

Lenovo has released a Service TIP to assist customers with obtaining battery replacements under warranty, or if out of warranty, to find a replacement battery from Lenovo-approved vendors. The Service TIP can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-I0023 

Just to set expectation , tech support may inform you the same thing but still worth a try having an open conversation.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete