Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,912
Message 1 of 9

File Transfer to Y510 - pls help

I bought an IdeaPad Y510 yesterday, and am hoping someone here can help me resolve my file transfer issues.

Transferring from a Dell Inspiron 2200, with only a C Drive. The IdeaPad's C drive does not have enough storage to accept the file transfer - but I cannot find a way to move the files between the Dell C drive and the Lenovo D drive. Is there a workaround to transferring over a network, or am I just S.O.L.?

I'm having major issues transferring pictures on a DVD as well, but I want to play awhile longer and make sure that's not my own issue before I get into posting about that here.

Frustrated...

dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,904
Message 2 of 9

Re: File Transfer to Y510 - pls help

Forgot to add, in my attempts to transfer the files I'm using "Windows Easy Transfer" with a direct cable connection between the Dell and the Lenovo. From what I can find on the Windows help, it doesn't look like there's a way to redirect the drive mapping. Any and all advice will be most appreciated.

TIA.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,894
Message 3 of 9

What are you trying to do? Just transfer couple of files between computers? Why not to use just a simple flash drive ? Or not to connect them by ethernet cable and transfer files tat way?
//help will save the world
dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,861
Message 4 of 9

I'm trying to move a sigificant amount of info -- the biggest being my itunes library and my pictures. I was able to move most of my itunes via backup discs I made a few months ago, so now my primary concern is photos. I've got a few thousand at least, way more then a flash drive. I *thought* I had backup discs of the photos, but it looks like they're all corrupted.

As far as the ethernet cable, that's what I was trying to do. Is there a way to do that in Vista without using Windows Easy Transfer? The whole issue is that Easy Transfer won't let me move data to the Lenovo's D Drive, only its C drive (which has only like a gig of room left as far as I can see).

Retired Guru
Views: 1,858
Message 5 of 9

Still I suggest Flash drive is the easiest way for you - flash drive could be used not only once, but many times Robot Happy.

But still, if ti is not acceptable, you may connect your laptops via ethernet or WiFi (adhoc mode) and transfer files that way. But that requires some sort of knowledge and Googling, and using flashdrive requires only flashdrive Robot Happy

Update: I myself use flash in such situations if I do not have external HDD.

Message Edited by skripatch on 07-11-2008 04:56 PM
dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,841
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping to avoid moving data over piecemeal, but I recognize that I may have to end up with the flash drive method (or buy a external HDD or burn photo discs that actually work).

I'm hoping that maybe someone might be able to help me figure out how to transfer large amounts of data efficiently, preferably over ethernet, from one computer's C drive to another computers D drive. If there is a way to do that without using a transfer wizard, could you help me out? Even tossing out keywords to search on would help. I came up with some really worthless info on my own. I definitely Googled looking for help before I ever came here - that's how I found this forum. But quite frankly, I've got a two and a three year old pawing at me 90% of the time I'm trying to work on this, and it's a bit distracting. I certainly may be missing something.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,835
Message 7 of 9

OK. Here you go:

You'll need 

1a)one crossover ethernet cable or

1b)two straight ethernet cables and switch/router/hub to connect

2)Create idential accounts on both computers with same names and same passwords - upper/lower case does matter

3)Press WinKey+Pause , go to tab "Identification" and make sure to join both laptops to same workgroup

4)Rightclick on Network Connection via Ethernet ->  Properties -> find TCP/IP v 4 -> make one laptop

IP =192.168.0.20 mask 255.255.255.0 (gateway/DNS doesn't matter)

and another

IP =192.168.0.21 mask 255.255.255.0 (gateway/DNS doesn't matter) 

5)Rightclick on D-drive on old laptop -> Share this drive

6)Go to Network Neighbourhood and find this shared folder

7)Profit

You might have to reboot after steps 2 and 3 and wait after steps 5 and 6 until you get step 7 Robot Very Happy

HTH

Message Edited by skripatch on 07-11-2008 06:09 PM
dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,799
Message 8 of 9

Awesome!! Thanks for the advice - it's most appreciated. Now to get my sleepy arse together enough to work on this...
dcblues
Paper Tape
Views: 1,766
Message 9 of 9

OK, true confessions - it turns out I'm a moron, and that despite the repeated warnings to the contrary from MS "Easy File Transfer", an interrupted file transfer does not delete all files that were slated to be moved. I was able to clear out 8GB off the Lenovo's C drive just by getting rid of duplicate music files I didn't know were there. That should give me enough room to move alot of the files between the two C drives with relative ease. Will deal with this after I get back from vacation, time to pack then play.

Thx again for the help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors