Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-17-2014

United Kingdom

8 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 4

Finding a HDD Caddy for the Y500

2014-03-17, 15:12 PM

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Lenovo Y500 from CeX (a UK based second hand gaming store) and I'm wanting to swap out the 1tb HDD for a SSD. This seems pretty straight foward enough however, in order to keep the nice amount of disk space I wanted to put the original 1tb HDD out of my laptop into the ultrabay. This is where I seem to have hit a brick wall. After a bit of research I found that I needed a Hard Drive Caddy Adapter and finding the right one for the Y500 seems to be quite complicated.

I have found these that appear to come close to what I need:

http://www.ecrater.co.uk/help.php?faq_gid=2

http://www.partoflaptop.com/product_info.php?language=en¤cy=GBP&products_id=2019

http://www.justop.com/catalog/2nd-hard-disk-drive-caddy-ide-to-sata-12-7mm-0-5-inch-for-laptops.html

I was wondering which one fits (or do they all fit)?

The front plastic bit on any of them doesn't appear to be the same as the one on my ultrabay optical drive that came as standard with the laptop, so I'm a bit skeptical. I have come across other forum posts disscussing the issue but all the links provided are from US based companies that won't ship to the UK. These forums also mention that the front plastic part doesn't exactly fit the Y500 casing so is bound to look a bit out of place.

Also any suggestions on what SSD to go for would be very welcome :) 

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Finding a HDD Caddy for the Y500

2014-03-17, 15:29 PM

Your hdd probably is 9.5mm thick so you select a ssd that is 9.5mm or less. As to the caddy yes you will have a hard time removing the original front plate to be installed to the caddy. You might break the plate.

Options

10 Posts

03-17-2014

United Kingdom

8 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-03-17, 16:28 PM

Will the caddy's fit without me having to remove the front plate? Even if the front plate breaks upon removal as long as the caddy will still do the job then I'm not too fussed. But if I have to remove the front plate and it risks also breaking the caddy itself (so that it's useless) then I may give this a miss and try to find a decent sized SSD instead.

Thanks for the advice on the SSD :)

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-03-17, 17:01 PM

I don't know. I I haven't done it. I mean I have a caddy but I did not push thru with the plan. I use instead an sshd (not too fast but not too slow) in place of the ordinary hdd. Which is easier for me to implement.

Another thing that you have to consider is the connector at the back of the caddy must match as that in the mb of your unit. Also where it is located (center, at the side).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms