cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
novomack
Punch Card
Views: 3,933
Message 1 of 8

For NEW system, how to re-partition AND make OKR (OneKey) Recovery work !!

I just bought a new Y400 sometime back. Win 8, OKR 8. 1TB HDD.

It had incovenient partition sizes - with a large C-OS, a D: Lenovo and no separate partition for personal files.

I like to keep personal files in a separate partition, so I was going to repartition the C drive, when I saw the threads about how OneKey recovery (OKR) will stop working if I did so.

So I was searching for answers and I read the long winded procedure for re-installing OKR for those who have already partitioned their HDDs and their OKR stopped working.

I also read something about serial numbers of the partitions, in some thread.

Here is what I did -

DISCLAIMER: Please do it at your own risk, what worked for me, may or may not work for you. I am not responsible if anything goes wrong.

Prepare:

A) Make a backup of your system using other cloning/imaging tools before you do this.

B) Be prepared that OKR backup and recovery will still not work after this, and you might have to take the longer procedure to get OKR functionality back.

C) I have just saved the backup image, NOT yet tried to recover from it, so cannot say for sure if that image will work. Saving of recovery image and restoration of that image using Novo button and OneKey Recovery (OKR) both work !!

D) Even if it works, I do not know what parts of the system will be restored.

What I did -

1) I made System Repair Disc using Win's recovery system and also a system image using the same.

2) Wrote down the Serial Number of all the partitions in the HDD (I had 7, including 2 normal ones, 5 hidden (1 reserved)).

I used Minitools Partition Wizard Home Edition 8 for this (freeware). Probably other paritioning software also have this ability to show partition serial numbers, but I am not sure. I also had Easeus Partition Master, but somewhere I read a post where EPM messed up some partitions after it was done - like some paritions became visible, some became primary,etc. That might be a one off issue though.

3) Shrunk the C from about 900Gb to about 120gb.

4) Made an F drive from most of the unallocated space.

5) Increased the size of the Lenovo D partition to about 35gb , since I thought its current size might not hold the recovery image. (Before partitioning, OKR said estimated image size was 29Gb).

6) Once all this was done, as expected, OKR said this system cannot be back-ed up.

7) Checked the serial numbers of the partitions and noted that those of C: and D:  had changed.

8) Changed the serial number of C: and D: back to their original numbers.

(I was scared at this stage, since I don't know much about partition serial numbers and the software said system might not boot!)

Serial numbers are shown starting with 0x in this software. But when you go to change it, 0x is not required to be written. Just copy paste the numbers after that.

9) Changing the serial number of C: needs a restart.

10) System did boot after this.

11) started OKR and it made a backup image and stored it in Lenovo D:.

Success.

2 points of concern -

1) I have not tried to restore the system using this backup image, so I am not sure if it will work !!  Restore Works !

2) When I started OKR backup, it said estimated image size is 26Gb, however after the process completed, it seemed to occupy only 15 Gb space. Is this normal ? The image is compressed it seems and all the initial software, as well as those installed by my were restored.

So, by using this at least the OKR is making a new backup image.

I will make a backup of this system using some other software and Win Recovery, and then try to recover using OKR and see how that goes. Will report back once that is done.

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 3,903
Message 2 of 8

Re: For NEW system, how to re-partition AND make OKR (OneKey) Recovery work !!

Success.

I backed up this repartitioned system using Marcium and then proceeded to restore the earlier saved system image using OKR and Novo button.
It recovered the system to the earlier repartitioned state (not the factory state).
As expected all the extra software that I had installed at that time, like Firefox etc, were also restored and are working on my system.

So I can say that this procedure of using the original serial numbers of the HDD partitions for C and D is very likely to work.

I hope those people wanting to keep the OKR working and repartition their new Lenovo systems find this thread useful using their original HDD partition serial numbers.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,874
Message 3 of 8

Hi novomack,

Can you post a picture of your Disk Management, from the Control Panel ->Computer Management, after the OKR restore? I'm interested in your partitioning structure, and I would like to see them visually.

Thanks,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 3,852
Message 4 of 8

I'll get that for u soon.

are u trying to figure why this worked ? or any other reason u want to see this ?

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 3,817
Message 5 of 8

Here are the screenshots for both before and after partitions

Before

HDD partitions 3.png

After

HDD after repartitioning.png

Do tell me if u see something interesting.

joester
Punch Card
Views: 3,499
Message 6 of 8

It's nice to see it worked for you!

My problem is that the original HDD died (exactly why recovery partitions are NOT a good idea in my book) and partitions are not accessible to recover the serial numbers.

I was successful in the installation of OKR and it even goes through the paces (indicates a backup of file sis processing/saving), but examination of the recovery partition after running OKR reveals that the partition data size is only about 500MB... Nowhere near what it should be.

I wish there was a CD recovery set option when purchasing instead of the on-disc setup that seems to always fail me.

For the record, I've had several laptops with HDD's that have died. All of them had on-disc recovery / backup partitions and none of the data was recoverable from any of them. For me personally, I see  absolutley no reason to have anything over a 60GB HDD in a laptop. I now save all my data to a thumbdrive and the OS partition only runs the OS. I save nothing to the HDD since losing data so many times. Saving 100's of GB's of data and backing it all up on the HDD is pointless when you are facing read head errors preventing the HDD from operating.

I Series 1200 - 2 / Transnote - 1 / 600E's - 8 / 600X - 2 / A21e -2 / T21 - 1 / T30 - 1 / T60 - 2 / Z565 - 1 and more models from various manufacturers than there is space to list.
novomack
Punch Card
Views: 3,410
Message 7 of 8

I agree that in case of disc failure all the saved images won't do any good.

and as i mentioned, this procedure only works for those with new systems, so that they have the original HDD partition serial numbers.

Even when we have an on-HDD backup, which could be useful in cases of corrupt OS files or partition, it should be good to have some recovery DVDs too.

I have used the Windows' own recovery method - made one "system repair disc" (about 500mb) and then a system image (about 35gb) which is stored on an external HDD.

I have also used Macrium to make a WinPE based recovery disc (bootable) and another system image, also stored on an external HDD.

But since u have, unfortunately, suffered so many HDD failures (not related to Magneto, are u?), how can we be sure that the external HDD itself won't fail !! Are USB thumbdrives better/more reliable for saving recovery images ?

For personal data - photos, movies, songs, software, etc, we would still need to use HDDs.

joester
Punch Card
Views: 3,387
Message 8 of 8

To date I've never lost data on a thumb drive. I always follow the "Safely remove drive" process (Icon near the clock).

I'm so sold on Electronic data media for backup, I've copied all the photographs I have onto SD's and we keep them in our fire safe. Testing I've seen online showed data being recovered from a completely melted SD that had been on fire. Spinning disc.... not reliable. I haven't played with an SDD yet. That might be worthy of a recovery partition and on (disc?) backup... if the backup is removable from the SDD. That would be awesome.

Sure, it would be great to have a simple way to restore the OS in the event of a corruption, but once corrupted, the best and safest way to ensure reliability is with a clean install. I fought the OKR and thought I won, but I ended up abandoning the idea since the application is fickle and problematic from my experience. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know my way around a PC and have worked on PC's for many years.

I Series 1200 - 2 / Transnote - 1 / 600E's - 8 / 600X - 2 / A21e -2 / T21 - 1 / T30 - 1 / T60 - 2 / Z565 - 1 and more models from various manufacturers than there is space to list.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors