cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yui-Kitamura
What's DOS?
Views: 1,294
Message 1 of 6

Friend's new Lenovo Ideapad Z710 refuses to install touchpad driver.

A few weeks ago my friend bought a brand new Lenovo Ideapad Z710 laptop pre-installed with Win8. I "Upgraded" to Windows 7 for him, as neither of us can stand the new OS. Usually I have no trouble reinstalling drivers after installing a new OS, but for some reason his touchpad driver will NOT install.

I'm using the official driver for his computer, it's apparently a synaptics driver and it says it should work completely fine with Windows 7, but when I try to run the installation, I get the error "Synaptics Device Not Found!"

There are a few issues that I believe are related to the driver not being installed that may tell you guys something. When he closes his laptop lid and open it again, his mouse jumps over the screen endlessly, and he cannot use the computer until he restarts. Also, he can't turn his touchpad off, which I assume is a function that comes with the driver.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, if you need any more information please feel free to ask.

Thanks again,
-Tyler

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,278
Message 2 of 6

Re: Friend's new Lenovo Ideapad Z710 refuses to install touchpad driver.

Are you sure that the touchpad is a Synaptics touchpad and not ElanTech? If it is ElanTech, try uninstalling the presently installed the driver. Then install the driver from the site. While installing the driver do not put a checkmark in the box that says Install Synaptics driver now.

Yui-Kitamura
What's DOS?
Views: 1,247
Message 3 of 6

Wow I feel dumb. I didn't realize I had to go to where it was installed and run a different setup for Elan touchpads. Thank you so much, you're a lifesaver.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,241
Message 4 of 6

You're welcome.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,192
Message 5 of 6

Note that this same problem was initially posted in the SevenForums forum (Drivers sub-forum).

For anybody looking here, in the Lenovo Community forum, to get help on a similar problem, you might also read the related thread in SevenForums where more in-depth analysis and possible explanation for the failure of the Lenovo-provided driver installer to successfully install the driver for the Elan touchpad on the Z710 was was expressed.

It's not clear yet whether the problem is due to (a) a THIRD type of Hardware ID for the particular Elan touchpad present on OP's Z710 is the culprit (since DEV.INI only provides TWO separate Hardware ID values for an Elan touchpad), or (b) a possible inappropriate use of the Synaptics-specific SETUP.EXE (in the lower-level Synaptics sub-folder) by the AUTORUN if the "install now" checkbox is left checked at the FINISH dialog page, when in fact it should have been SETUP.EXE in the higher-level folder (where DEV.INI lives) that should have been launched.

There will be continued discussion over on SevenForums, where hopefully we will get to the bottom of this mystery and possibly report the defect to Lenovo as seems appropriate at this point.  There really should be no need to have the user manually do anything when running a Lenovo-provided driver for hardware specifically found on any Lenovo machine, especially when the driver download page clearly shows that it supports BOTH the Synaptics touchpad as well as the Elan touchpad.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,131
Message 6 of 6

@DSperber wrote:

Note that this same problem was initially posted in the SevenForums forum (Drivers sub-forum).

For anybody looking here, in the Lenovo Community forum, to get help on a similar problem, you might also read the related thread in SevenForums where more in-depth analysis and possible explanation for the failure of the Lenovo-provided driver installer to successfully install the driver for the Elan touchpad on the Z710 was was expressed.

It's not clear yet whether the problem is due to (a) a THIRD type of Hardware ID for the particular Elan touchpad present on OP's Z710 is the culprit (since DEV.INI only provides TWO separate Hardware ID values for an Elan touchpad), or (b) a possible inappropriate use of the Synaptics-specific SETUP.EXE (in the lower-level Synaptics sub-folder) by the AUTORUN if the "install now" checkbox is left checked at the FINISH dialog page, when in fact it should have been SETUP.EXE in the higher-level folder (where DEV.INI lives) that should have been launched.

There will be continued discussion over on SevenForums, where hopefully we will get to the bottom of this mystery and possibly report the defect to Lenovo as seems appropriate at this point.  There really should be no need to have the user manually do anything when running a Lenovo-provided driver for hardware specifically found on any Lenovo machine, especially when the driver download page clearly shows that it supports BOTH the Synaptics touchpad as well as the Elan touchpad.

Yes I have seen the same post posted in the WindowsSeven forum (in which I'm also reading from time to time but I'm not a subscriber) by the same author. However, a similar situation was posted before such a problem is presented here. In that post a procedure is presented on how to install the ElanTech touchpad driver (procedure C).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors