cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X-Factor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,497
Message 1 of 4

Frustrated. Windows 7 will not load. Screen turns off when loading Windows 7 login screen. Y560

Now my Y560 laptop computer is back to it's original problem:

It first overheated and shut down.  Now every time I try to load WIndows 7 normally the screen turns off completely when it is supposed to load the user log-in screen. The computer is still on but the display turns off everytime it reaches that same spot.

I can only load Safe Mode windows 7 but it is of not much use because safe mode does not allow me to run any programs.  The system seems to be producing way high temperatures even in safe mode. How can I fix this problem with windows 7 shutting off the display when it is about to reach the log-in screen?

Even when transfering files in safe mode to an external drive the system will turn off sometimes when a lot of files are transfering.

This is very dissapointing because I spent $850 on this computer a year ago, and now it is malfunctioning and over a motnth out of warranty.  This is such a terrible experience.  I've never had a computer break down like this before.  Now i have to resort to using my old desktop PC running XP with very basic functions.

please help . thank you

Highlighted
X-Factor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,479
Message 2 of 4

Re: Frustrated. Windows 7 will not load. Screen turns off when loading Windows 7 login screen. Y56

I solved my own problem but Lenovo plants should do a  much better job with quality control during manufacturing.

I fixed the overheating problem/LCD screen always turning off at the Windows 7 login screen problem by doing this:

1)  Take out the  laptop power battery and unplus the system.    Open up the laptop and apply a thin layer of Artic Silver 5 thermal paste on all the 3 chips under the heat sink aand fan. 

See this guide for how to safely remove fan and heat sink:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 Hardware Maintenance Manual V2.0

2)  I moved the top ram to the bottom slot and the bottom one into the upper slot.

Seems like it works for now.  Hopefully not too many of you run into this problem too as it has wasted many hours of my time.

X-Factor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,465
Message 3 of 4

Re: Frustrated. Windows 7 will not load. Screen turns off when loading Windows 7 login screen. Y56

Now after turning off my computer again it did the same thing where windows log-in screen will turn off the display. 

It does get past this randomly few a couple more hard reboots.  But this whole expierience is very frustrating.

What can be the cause of this problem?  Do I need to replace my RAM sticks?  The system was hitting very high temperatures until I did what I outlined in post # 2 of this topic.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,443
Message 4 of 4

i don't think it's ram.
can you try to use external monitor? if issue not persists, i can say possible graphic card or lcd issue.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors