Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ka1n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,320
Message 1 of 26

Graphic Card problem on Lenovo Y50-70

Hi guys! Last week i bought a Laptop Lenovo IdeaPad Y5070 with Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ 2.50GHz, Haswell™, 15,6" Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, nVidia GeForce GTX 860M 4GB, FreeDOS, Black. I installed all drivers from Lenovo but i have a problem with my graphic cards. The problem is that when i am trying to run a game like Far Cry, GTA, Sniper Elite or any other games with my dedicated video card (nVIDIA GTX 860M) my display turns into a black screen when i launch the game and nothing happens. But when i am launching the game with my integrated video card( Intel HD Graphics 4600) it launches and the game runs normally but i have very low graphic experience and i cant play the game with the integrated one. I want to say that my display runs on the intel integrated graphic card and i dont know how to switch it to nVIDIA. I think that this is the problem. My display is using intel graphic card and when i am trying to open a game with nVIDIA graphic card it turns into a black screen and nothing happens. When i use dxdiag it only shows me the Intel HD 4600 GRAPHIC card in the display section. Please tell me what can i do, this is very frustrating for me. Thank you and sorry for my bad english. I am waiting for an answer !

Guru
Views: 43,308
Message 2 of 26

Re: Graphic Card problem on Lenovo Y50-70

1) Which windows do you have installed?

2) Did you install the correct NVIDIA drivers for your system?

3) Can you go into Control Panel >> Device Manager and see what is displayed under Display category?

These laptops use NVIDIA optimus technology and the NVIDIA card only gets used when doing graphically intensive tasks such as gaming, it is not a problem.

I am pretty sure the problem is with your graphics drivers.

Also, check in your DXDIAG which DirectX version is installed.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ka1n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,302
Message 3 of 26

1. I have installed windows 7 ultimate x64

2. Yes, i think so because you cant install any driver, it will not work if it s not compatible. I have the latest nVIDIA GTX 860M driver ( 350.12 ).

3. Under display manager are displayed both graphic cards: the integrated one ( Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600) and the dedicated one ( nVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M )

My DirectX version is DirectX11.

I have to mention that the nvidia and intel drivers for my laptop which you can download from lenovo didnt work. When i tried to install intel graphic card driver from lenovos site it said to me that i dont have the specific components or smth like that...it was for another intel version of graphic card. The same thing happenned with the nvidia driver downloaded from lenovos site, it was not compatible with my dedicated graphic card. So i do some researches on internet about my integrated graphic card and i discovered that my processor has Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 as integrated graphic card and i knew that it also has a nVIDIA GTX 860M as dedicated graphic card. So i downloaded the driver for the integrated one from intel and the driver for the dedicated one from nVIDIA. I also let nVIDIA to scan my pc and detect my type of graphic card, and auto install the correct driver. So i think it s ok with that. Both drivers worked and both graphic cards are available on my laptop and they work fine. If it wasnt ok, my drivers wouldnt be installed and it would say to me that it is not compatible with y hardware components.

I m waiting for your answers. Thank you !

L.E: I opened Sniper Elite 3 with my integrated intel graphic card and i set the display settings to ULTRA to see if it would switch to my nvidia gtx dedicated graphic card but no. It continues to run the game with the integrated one and i have very low fps that it cant be played. When i was in game i checked the nvidia gpu activity and it said none. So it doesnt switch automatically when i need high resources.

Guru
Views: 43,296
Message 4 of 26

As per what you have said. these are your drivers -

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83821/en-us

For Intel (64 bit) -

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+...

If you have these, then fine. Also, the drivers error comes if your are installing wrong drivers based on the chip. I think if the OS is 32bit or 64 bit then you may not see the error, please make sure of that.

Now, coming back to the black screen.

1) Have you tried waiting on the black screen? how long?

2) Does it give any other error or just stays black?

Open command prompt (as Admin) and type -

sfc /scannow

Wait for the command to stop executing and see if there are any errors.

Can you run a few of these QUICK tests to see if any errors come up -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

Try memory, video, motherboard etc.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ka1n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,286
Message 5 of 26

Hei, i m back.

i have installed exactly that drivers that you showed me in your post.

Now, coming back to the black screen:

1. Yes, i have waited like 10 or 15 minutes and nothing happens. I double click the games shortcut from my desktop, it opens the game and it s a black screen and nothing happens.

2. No, it doesnt. It just stays black.

I opened command prompt as Admin and did what you said, i will put a picture of the result here.

I also ran a few of that quick tests (motherboard, video, memory, cpu, storage) and it showed passed at all that tests.

So everything seems to be ok with my drivers and components, in my opinion.

Here you have the screenshots:

http://i61.tinypic.com/30w2jur.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/v4x7xy.png

Thank you and i m waiting for your answer.

Guru
Views: 43,281
Message 6 of 26

There seem to be some windows problems which were fixed. Did you restart and try to play the game again?

Are these genuine game copies?

Have you applied this BIOS update (Make sure you do it for Win 7 64 bit) -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y50-70-noteboo...

How about the Audio update and the intel drivers from lenovo website -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y50-70-noteboo...

NVIDIA drivers -

If still these dont work, you may want to format HDD and do a fresh install again and try a fresh start with Lenovo drivers.

If after that too, there are problems, could be that your GPU is faulty and only a Lenovo technician can fix that.

Guru
Views: 43,278
Message 7 of 26

One more thing, Try a completely clean NVIDIA graphics install.

1) Go to Control Panel > Device Manager.

2) Click on Display and then select the NVIDIA GPU. Right click and select Uninstall.

3) Go to Programs & Features and UNINSTALL everything related to NVIDIA

4) Restart the laptop.

5) Let the laptop detect and install the NVIDIA drivers itself. This can take upto 5 minutes.

6) If nothing happens in Step 5, then install the drivers from NVIDIA website.

7) Once drivers are installed, restart and try to play a game.

ka1n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,271
Message 8 of 26

I want to tell you that i dont think my gpu is faulty. I mean...i play a game (League of Legends) at very high settings and it works perfectly...and i can open it with right-click and select my nVIDIA GPU. My nVIDIA GPU works fine with this game. But when i m trying to play Far Cry or Sniper Elite if i right-click on it and open it with integrated video card it works but the integrated video card is low so i cant play and if i try to open the games with nVIDIA GPU it get into the game and it s all black. Nothing happens.

Yes. This are genuine game copies that i ve played on my pc and works fine there and my new laptop is way better than that old pc.So this should run on my laptop.

I installed all the drivers from lenovo, did the bios update, all the things and i uninstalled all my nVIDIA drivers, download them again and installed them again and the same thing it s happenning. I dont know what to do more than that...Thank you.

Guru
Views: 43,261
Message 9 of 26

Your games are old (Far Cry) and I searched and they have compatibility issues with Windows 7 64bit.

Read these threads -

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/4022-w7-64bit-original-farcry.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/53265-far-cry-64-bit-ver-free-patch-upgrade-32-bit.html

Try the solutions posted there. It should not be a GPU problem.

If you had mentioned that you are able to run some game on NVIDIA GPU, there wouldnt have been any need to test the card or re-install drivers. Your issue is compatibility.

ka1n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,257
Message 10 of 26

I am trying to play Far Cry 4 which appeared in 2014-2015...And Sniper Elite V2 & Sniper Elite 3 which are not old games. I want to say that i played Sniper Elite V2 on my pc like and year ago and it worked fine, on windows 7 x64 with Intel processor and Nvidia graphic card. So i dont know why is not working on my laptop. And i dont think that it s a problem with my version of windows 7 x64 because i told you that if i open all the games with my integrated video card they work normal...but i also told you that i cant play with that integrated video card because it has low specification and that s why i have a dedicated graphic card from nVIDIA. So i dont know what the problem is and i m starting to feel a bit angry. Thank you for your answers and i m still waiting for a solution...

Top Kudoed Authors