Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Myopic
Paper Tape
Views: 702
Message 1 of 17

Graphics Issue with y510p, SLI configuration

Hello,

I bought a refurbished IdeaPady510p a few months ago, and recently it's started having problems. It used to run Max Payne 3 just fine, but now when I try to play it the screen freezes, though the sound continues, until I'm forced to shut it down. The message I always get is "display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver stopped responding and has recovered." I'm using Nvidia 340.52, but it still happens with older versions of the driver as well. Sometimes it even happens during regular use, for example when I'm just surfing the web.

Other issues include trouble with video playback (freezing and stuttering) and sometimes I'll get artifacts on my screens, rectangles that are either black or filled with horizontal lines that disappear and reappear depending on where my mouse pointer is located. 

As I've said, I've already tried rolling back the drivers and using several different drivers from the past few months. I've tried updating to the most current drivers, installing all optional Windows updates, completely uninstalling and re-installing the GeForce experience program. I've tried removing the Ultrabay Geforce 755M graphics card, I've tried re-inserting it and trying to run on only Ultrabay graphics, and I've tried numerous configurations in the GeForce Control Panel. No improvement. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ciolas2
Punch Card
Views: 690
Message 2 of 17

Re: Graphics Issue with y510p, SLI configuration

Hi, I have exact the same problem with my Y510P. I have sent it to authorized service on my warranty. I will give you a response when they will give it back to me. I hope the problem will be solved, and afteralI I  will tell you, what exactly they have changed. I hope it's a hardware issue. Good luck, and be patient Smiley Happy

iDesign
802.11n
Views: 687
Message 3 of 17

Have you checked the heat the your laptop is running at? I also have the y510p sli, I ran into the driver crashing problem after updating to latest driver, but for me downgrading to older driver worked for me.

Just a thought, make sure that your 170w charger is plugged in correctly, unplug then reinsert the AC.

Have you tried playing the game without the ultrabay card plugged in?
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
ciolas2
Punch Card
Views: 683
Message 4 of 17

In my laptop first GPU is above 80*C in stress, but GPU in UB is about 97*C. I have tried every drivers, even those from Lenovo's site (they are out of date anyway), and the latest drivers also. I have tried everything, and what is interesting with SLI disabled I could play every game without any crash. Crashes appears even when temperatures were not too high, like 80*C on UB GPU. I think that must be a hardware problem, maybe with UB card. After trying everything I decided to send it to Lenovo's service centre.
iDesign
802.11n
Views: 679
Message 5 of 17

It might be :/ just hope lenovo don't mess you about like they have a reputation of. Goodluck with the repairs tho and hope you get your machine back fully working.
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
ciolas2
Punch Card
Views: 678
Message 6 of 17

Thx, I will give a reply afterall Smiley Happy
Myopic
Paper Tape
Views: 653
Message 7 of 17

How do I check the heat? I'll check the vents to see if the cards are running and I think they are... 

I do have the 170w charger, and I've tried unplugging it and plugging it in again. 

I've tried running games without the ultrabay, same thing happened. I'd like to try running a game on just the ultrabay, ignoring the built in graphics card, but I'm not sure how. Best I've managed is opening up GeForce control panel and selecting the second card as a dedicated PhysX processor and disabling SLI. With this setup I was able to run L4D2 for a while, but Max Payne 3 caused the same crash. 

Myopic
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 8 of 17

I've been able to run L4D2, a much less demanding game. It crashed once, it stutters and sometimes it loads certain textures wrong, making them bright purple instead. I just finished a game and exited and I got a new message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program File...

R6016
- not enough space for thread data

Does this new information help with locating the problem?

iDesign
802.11n
Views: 624
Message 9 of 17

Could be a problem with your computers registry, have you cleaned your registry before? If not then use "Advanced systemcare" scan and clean the registry. You might just have a defective gpu :/ but do try that.
Myopic
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 10 of 17

I cleaned the registry with CCleaner. No improvements. 

I'm searching the lenovo support website and one option is to reinstall my OS. I'm not sure how to do that since I don't have a CD drive, and I may have deleted One Key Recovery when I purged all the bloatware when I first got the computer... I swear I'm not usually this technologically illiterate. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors