cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrfuda
Paper Tape
Views: 3,191
Message 61 of 68

Re: Guide(ish): Windows 10 Upgrade (Y510p)

After losing wireless after updating to Windows 10 in August and reverting back to 8.1, I found this thread and began a search for a compatible, white-listed card.

I decided on a Broadcom BCM94352HMB Lenovo part # 20200381 since several other posters had success.

I ordered twice from Ebay. Both times the seller said they were out and refunded my money.

I ordered from AliExpress. The seller marked it shipped after 3 weeks, but it never arrived. They also refunded my money.

All three of these were out of China.

Finally, a week ago I got a hit on a saved search on Ebay again. This time it shipped from Florida and was only $22 with shipping (lower than the others I tried to order). It arrived on Saturday.

Install was super simple and worked great once I connected to Ethernet to download the drivers. Worked great on 2.4 and 5ghz bands after that.

The upgrade to Windows 10 went well after that, though I found I had to use the old version of the media creation tool (the one I downloaded in August) becusae the current version kept giving me an error.

Works great in Windows 10. I think all that is left is for me to update the SSD Cache software.

Sekosan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,384
Message 62 of 68

Hello there,

I think Lenovo is joking. Which makes it unreasonable that microsoft forced the windows 10 update, Lenovo does not support the up-to-date configurations like y410p-y510p (yes it's still up-to-date. because the cpu and gpu isn't weak). Smiley Frustrated

I've y510p. I am 3d designer which is using very heavy 3d programs (like 3ds max, maya, autocad, photoshop, illustrator etc) at the same time and i am pretty sure that the system configuration is quite fast and up to date (with 16gb ram update). 

I think you must provide support to y510p-y410p (and similar configuration) models for windows 10. 

I've had problems with windows 10 in the past days. suddenly the screen went blank, standard Microsoft drivers loaded. I'm using Windows 10. But it was installed energy management for Windows 8.1. I did some searching and found out that Lenovo Energy Management caused the problem. When I delete the driver, the problem is solved. Now I charge the laptop gets stuck at 57%. Because battery option remained as the maximum optimized health. If I install energy managament drive again, I think I have a display problem again. How do you solve this dilemma? Yes, we have our windows 10 drivers need to. Smiley Happy

p.s. sorry for my english

PCFrost
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,375
Message 63 of 68

First of all, you should probably have asked your question as a separete thread in order for more people to see your problem.
Second, have you tried installing the latest energy manager withouh having it set to auto start and just launch the program manually when you need to change with it? Have you installed the latest driver directly from NVidias homepage? The lastest chipset drivers from Intel?

Lenovo Y510p user
jrfuda
Paper Tape
Views: 1,362
Message 64 of 68

I do not think you need any of the Lenovo software/drivers for windows 10 to work. My HDD died a few weeks ago and I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a 500gb SSD, removed the cache (which never worked right anyway) and everything worked perfectly. This is now the fastest PC I've every used, booting in a few seconds and all programs opening almost instantly (I had previously changed the wifi to a Broadcom BCM94352HMB for Windows 10 compatibility).
Sekosan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,324
Message 65 of 68

I have installed lenovo settings yesterday and battery problem is gone. But I'm still worried because lenovo does not provide driver support for windows 10. Meanwhile, my display problem still continues. Intel and nvidia driver are up to date.
I even installed the old driver because I had a problem when the driver was up to date. I will try the driver in turn until I find the solution.

In addition, Intel driver update software specifically warns that "the laptop manufacturer may have optimized drivers." (But they do not have a driver. They're says "we won't support windows 10 on this model")

Do not forget that the most recent driver is not always the best. If it is not broke, do not fix it ..
But it's already broken, so fix it Smiley Tongue

Maybe the problem is caused by a different hardware (like ram). Some users say that they do not have any problems. Until 2 weeks ago I was recommending my friends on the y510p model that windows 10 is wonderful. But everything suddenly changed. Anyway, I will write especially if I find a solution to my problem.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Sekosan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,323
Message 66 of 68

what do you mean when you say "removed the cache (which never worked right anyway)"
i ordered my friend a transcend 256gb m2.sata ssd. i will reinstall everything when it comes.
jrfuda
Paper Tape
Views: 1,309
Message 67 of 68

My original m2 SSD failed about a year from purchase, I replaced it with a MyDigitalSSD 64GB m2 module, which failed a couple of months ago.. Maybe my m2 controller is bad causing them to fail. Since I switched the 2.5 inch HDD to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, there was no need to mess with the m2 SSD anymore, so I removed it when I changed the drive. I used a windows 10 install flash drive I made that would boot UEFI and did a clean install on the new SSD and everything works fantastic, without manually installing any drivers... Oh, and I also upped RAM to 16GB.

I never used Lenovo's recovery software, and don't plan on ever using it. It's easy to keep backups of files and settings using Windows built in backup and do a clean install when things go south, especially with the SSD. I never saw windows install so fast, pretty much did a complete install on its own while I ate breakfast. SSDs are amazing!

PCFrost
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,297
Message 68 of 68

Don't forget to also uninstall ExpressCache, if you removed the original M2-module/replaced it with a real drive. I'm guessing that could potentially be causing system problems and/or performance loss, otherwise.

Lenovo Y510p user

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors