Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BaconPancakes
What's DOS?
Views: 899
Message 1 of 5

HDD Replacement on Y400

I need to replace the HDD on my Y400 Lenovo, however I'm not sure what specs the replacement HDD requires.  I know the laptop is also a few years old so I wasn't sure if there were better options on the market than what is listed in the manual.

Currently the HDD is 1T HDD with 16GB SSD, I would like to find something just as fast but not neccessarily a full SSD as those seem to be on the more expensive side.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you!

On a side note, this HDD failed fairly quickly after the original purchase, is this a common problem or just poor luck on my part?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 888
Message 2 of 5

Re: HDD Replacement on Y400

@BaconPancakes wrote:

I need to replace the HDD on my Y400 Lenovo, however I'm not sure what specs the replacement HDD requires.  I know the laptop is also a few years old so I wasn't sure if there were better options on the market than what is listed in the manual.

Currently the HDD is 1T HDD with 16GB SSD, I would like to find something just as fast but not neccessarily a full SSD as those seem to be on the more expensive side.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you!

On a side note, this HDD failed fairly quickly after the original purchase, is this a common problem or just poor luck on my part?

You can buy a 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm or 7.0mm 5400rpm hdd. If you can find a 7200 rpm unit the better. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 885
Message 3 of 5

hi BaconPancakes,

In addition to what LenBlazer have mentioned, since you have the Y400 that's configured with a 1TB HDD+16GB mSATA SSD (that acts as a cache drive for frequently accessed files) then you may want  to consider getting an SSHD drive like this item. This combines the performance of an HDD+SSD within one drive.

Alternatively, you can also opt to replace the 16GB mSATA SSD into a bigger capacity (like the Mushkin 240GB) and make it as the bootable drive. This is the way to go if you want to increase read/write speed on the drive without breaking the bank (the price difference between a 1TB SSHD and a 240GB mSATA SSD is little but the latter performs better).

- Sample item (SSHD)

- Sample item (mSATA SSD)

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

BaconPancakes
What's DOS?
Views: 879
Message 4 of 5

Thank you so much for the quick replies!  I think I'll go for the Seagate Solid State Hybrid drive.  I appreciate it!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 875
Message 5 of 5

@BaconPancakes wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick replies!  I think I'll go for the Seagate Solid State Hybrid drive.  I appreciate it!

If you are interested in a speed equal to the ssd and the large capacity of a mechanical drive you might want to consider Western Digital's Black2 label dual drive. Its a 120 GB ssd and 1 Tb hdd in one enclosure..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors