cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,493
Message 1 of 6

HDMI and Headphone Output Mutually Exclusive?

I have a Z470 connecting to my Home Theater RX-V2065 Yamaha Receiver via HDMI cable plugged into the V-AUX on the front.  Sound and Audio are brilliant.  However I want to have an analog feed so that my wireless headphones work.   I have a RCA adapter for LR audio cables so it can plug into the laptop headphone jack and audio works fine via the headphones, but the moment I plug in the HDMI for video it cancels the headphone. 

I've tried enabling the speaker device play back rather than the TV and it plays through the laptop speakers but the moment I plug in the headphone jack the sound ends but is not coming through the headphones.  If I unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop ... voila audio through my wireless headphones.   Does anyone have an explanation or advice how to connect this so my headphones work?

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,460
Message 2 of 6

Re: HDMI and Headphone Output Mutually Exclusive?

I guess no one knows if using HDMI is supposed to cancel the headphone jack?
ayooz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,329
Message 3 of 6

I have this problem too on the thinkpad twist. its like the mini HDMI and aux jack are mutually exclusive. I think there is a bug in the drivers, and I think one affects the other. lots of problems when I have a second larger monitor connected via mini HDMI:

- Machine constantly thinks I am plugging and unplugging when I am not

- Cant use second monitor and listen through headphone jack at same time

- after having monitor connected through mini HDMI, aux jack driver seemed to have crashed, and even after unplugging hdmi I was not able to get sound through until I restarted

Is this a defect? someone from Lenovo want to answer to this?

Deadohiosky39
Paper Tape
Views: 3,302
Message 4 of 6

I'm in the same boat here. Y580 connected to a Dell 1080p IPS display. I can't get audio out of the headphone jack either. My receiver I was going to use for this doesn't have HDMI in or out so I was just going to go HDMI to the display and headphone->RCA Stereo cable to the receiver. No luck. Display doesn't have audio out either as it's only VGA or DVI-D.

Deadohiosky39
Paper Tape
Views: 3,277
Message 5 of 6

I'm guessing by going into audio devices you can change where the audio is output to. I haven't tried it yet but I would guess that works. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

newshnd
Paper Tape
Views: 2,811
Message 6 of 6

Hello,

I had the same problem when connecting my ThinkPad Yoga to an external HDMI monitor.

I solved the problem by right clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar and selecting Playback devices and make Speakers the Default device instead of the external hdmi monitor.

There are other options to play with too when you right click the speaker icon in the taskbar,

Give it a try.  worked for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors