cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bohemianguy2001
Paper Tape
Views: 9,668
Message 1 of 9

Help! Ideapad touchpad mouse goes crazy.

Hi,

I have an Ideapad Y430 that was purchased January this year. The problem I am facing is that the touchpad mouse goes crazy when I am sitting with the laptop at certain angles.Particularly, if I am lounging on a couch with the laptop sitting in my lap...

The mouse pointer goes crazy and windows start opening up and I can see left and right click menus coming up on the screen even when I am not touching the mousepad on the laptop.I have no problems using USB mouse though.I was wondering if anyone here has faced a similar problem and if so, what is the solution.I have tried checking for updated drivers and even installing Windows 7 but it is the same problem no matter what and it is pretty frustrating.

I will appreciate any help on the issue

Thanks,

Sunny

brownjc0
Paper Tape
Views: 9,638
Message 2 of 9

Re: Help! Ideapad touchpad mouse goes crazy.

I think the case interferes with the mouse when you rest your hands on it. My Fujitso, Dell and Lenovo have the same problems. It is ok if I don't lean my hands on the case and just touch the keys. Maybe the have the same vendor making the mouse pad.
crazyman62
Punch Card
Views: 9,592
Message 3 of 9

reinstall the touchpad driver then turn down the sensitivity and increase the palm detection.

when your typing your putting pressure on the case cover and it is pushing down on the corners of the touchpad.

also when typing you may be touching the touch pad.

bohemianguy2001
Paper Tape
Views: 9,559
Message 4 of 9

Looking at crazyman62's response, perhaps I need to be a little more clear about what I am looking for on this forum...

A) I have already tried re-installing the drivers for the mouse  and it has not helped.Hell, I even tried installing Windows 7 RC and while Windows 7 was very impressive , it did not resolve the issue.Play with sensitivity and palm detection ..yes I already tried all that to no avail.

My aim here was to see if someone else had faced a similar problem with a Lenovo product and if yes, what did they do to resolve the issue...guys, please do me a favor and don't post anything if you haven't faced the problem I have mentioned ...suggesting some generic crap like "I am accidentally touching the touchpad"  is not useful and just a waste of everyone's time...

Unless, someone can come up with a better reason,I do think that this may be a hardware issue as brownjc mentioned (thanks for the help!!)...I have been pretty disappointed with this laptop...maybe I could return it within a year and get a HP or something..

crazyman62
Punch Card
Views: 9,545
Message 5 of 9

you cant wait a year to return the system,

you have 21 Days.

and i have not heard of many ppl having that issue with the Y series, it is heard of on the value line G series.

the only thing you can really do is

A) sell it

B) send the computer in to the service center to be repaired by the technicians.

freesunshine
Paper Tape
Views: 8,910
Message 6 of 9

Hello bohemianguy2001 aka Sunny,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I was Googling the touchpad issue and came across your post. I'm not familiar with your Y430 but I do have Y460 with Windows 7 and have the same issue. I've tried everything from re-installing driver, change the palm and touchpad sentitive settings to max/min, and etc. I've even tried using it without the Synaptics driver. I did notice when I was using the standard Windows touchpad driver, a slight touch with my left palm cause the cursor to not move. I believe it's a hardware issue and this is why. Synaptics drive comes with a program called Pressure Graph. It senses the pressure on the touchpad but when you touch just outside of the touchpad square it still senses the pressure. I've called the Lenovo warranty and they couldn't help except to take the laptop for a service. I'm taking it in next week for service so I'll let you know what the result  is. Meantime, the link below has a great article about the ill-placed touchpad.

http://www.thinkpads.com/2009/08/17/review-lenovo-ideapad-y450/

-Sunny...yes my name is Sunny too! Smiley Happy

rrolando
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,576
Message 7 of 9

Hi Sunni,

Please let us know the outcome of your touchpad issue after sending your laptop in for repair. I too am experiencing the same problem but on a Y460. I've only have had it for three weeks and have not had the opportunity to enjoy it since I've been spending all my time trying to fix the touchpad. I too have tried re-configuring the touchpad options 'till the cows come home. Tried different driver versions to no avail. I'm still not sure if it is a hardware or a software issue.

We own three other Lenovos; an S-10, a 3000 v100, and a Thinkpad T410. Have not had any issues with any of these and am quite happy with them. One thing I do not like about the Y460 is the glossy finish on the touchpad. I've noticed that performace gets even worse the more I use it and constantly need to clean it.

Regards

RRolando

DivineChalk
What's DOS?
Views: 6,181
Message 8 of 9

I just went onto Control Panel (in classic view) the Mouse, then the tab on the far right. Then I clicked the reset all to default button, I said I was sure I wanted to.
At that exact moment it stopped jumping and not responding and otherwise malfunctioning. Hope this helps someone.
xd6jkc
What's DOS?
Views: 4,008
Message 9 of 9

Maybe a little help, but not what you asked for.  My Lenovo does the same thing, and after 3-5 seconds of holding down the ESC key, it foes away.  Problem is, it resurfaces in another X amount of time.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors