Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deslok1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,106
Message 1 of 3

Hinge not covered under warranty? Y470p

I called Lenovo support and told them about two issues: a loose hinge and two bright pixels on the monitor. I was told that they would have to repair the hinge at the depot, so there was not much further troubleshooting. Today, I got an e-mail saying, "After further diagnosis,  our repair engineers found damages on your computer that is not covered by the Lenovo limited warranty" and provides a quote of $187 to repair the left hinge. It suggests I read what the warranty does not cover on the attached PDF. I can only assume they're referring to: "failure or damage resulting from misuse, abuse, accident, modification, unsuitable physical or operating environment, natural disasters, power surges, improper maintenance, or use not in accordance with product information materials". But the hinge came loose through normal use. So, two questions:

1. Why did Lenovo originally claim that the hinge would be repaired under warranty then decide it wouldn't be?
  2. On what basis are they excluding this from warranty coverage? They attached the following picture. I'm not sure if that's standard or not. If not, I assume they are pointing out the damage to the case, which is a result of the broken hinge pushing up on it.

Anyone else experience this? I mean, hinge defects seem to be very common, but was anyone unable to get them repaired under warranty?

hinge.jpg

Highlighted
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,089
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hinge not covered under warranty? Y470p

After 2.5 years of constant use and counting, my Y470 hasn't yet shown any signs of build defects. I treat mine like a baby and 100% made sure the lid aren't opened beyond 110 degrees from the closed position, especially after seeing this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Problem-with-Hinges-on-G570-model-laptop/td-p/...

I always adjust the lid at the top center and never on the sides because I'm also concerned with the hinges of my Y470. It shares similar hinge design with the G47x and G57x series.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
deslok1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,067
Message 3 of 3

Re: Hinge not covered under warranty? Y470p

@cbautis2 wrote:

After 2.5 years of constant use and counting, my Y470 hasn't yet shown any signs of build defects. I treat mine like a baby and 100% made sure the lid aren't opened beyond 110 degrees from the closed position, especially after seeing this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Problem-with-Hinges-on-G570-model-laptop/td-p/...

I always adjust the lid at the top center and never on the sides because I'm also concerned with the hinges of my Y470. It shares similar hinge design with the G47x and G57x series.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll certainly "baby" my laptop more in the future, but that thread suggests that this is a known issue that occurs with normal use. It'd be a stretch for Lenovo to claim that all of those people were misusing their laptops. I've had a $400 Toshiba laptop for 2 years longer than the Lenovo, and it has no hinge looseness whatsoever.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors