Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbbx5aw2
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 1 of 7

Horizontal, running lines, on my ideapad z585 screen on startup

Hi guys,

My Ideapad z585, on startup, is displaying running horizontal lines, from the left of the screen to the right, and appears to respond slowly to mouse and keyboard commands. When I plug in an external display and select 'extend', the display works fine - and rapidly. For 5 mins or so the laptop screen maintains these running lines, then sorts itself out and starts working properly.

The lines run across the screen rapidly like a long line of full stops, but white.

Could this be a poorly connected ribbon cable? Why does it sort itself out after 5 minutes or so?

Thank you.

Guru
Views: 324
Message 2 of 7

Re: Horizontal, running lines, on my ideapad z585 screen on startup

Hi, welcome the forums.

I don't have that machine, but if it is hardware it can be several things like the ribbon cable, the screen, etc.

But just to rule out a software issue, I would try a few things like:

1) Access the Bios, before it loads Windows, check if the screen also fails while you visit the BIOS menu.

2) If you have  a live CD or Live USB Flash with other OS, try it out to see if you experience the same issue.

The other idea will be to try to update video driver of the machine. You can get it on the support page of the Ideapad z585. If it is only an software issue (Windows missconfiguration) a newer driver or reisntalling the video driver may help.

Which version of Windows are you running? Can you also share the video adapter that is recognized on Windows Device Manager?

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

mbbx5aw2
Paper Tape
Views: 250
Message 3 of 7

Hi there,

Yes, when I access the BIOS on start up, the horizontal lines are still present. I've taken the screen out, and reinserted the ribbon cables firmly, and this has seemed to improve the issue slightly, in the sense that the mouse and keyboard lag isn't as pronounced - the time taken for the mouse or keystrokes to respond has reduced, although still very laggy and useless for general purposes. The time taken for the screen to resolve itself once I've logged in has also reduced.

However, the issue still persists.

Also, I have recently performed a clean re-install of windows 8.1 from a flash drive, and still the screen produces the horizontal lines on startup.

I am currently in the process of updating the video driver, although I can't see how this would resolve the issue given the recent clean re-install.

I'm assuming that by video adapter you are referring to the Display adapter: I'm using the AMD Radeon HD 7640G

Many thanks

mbbx5aw2
Paper Tape
Views: 247
Message 4 of 7

Apologies, but could you also please direct me to the correct video driver update? I'm having troubles locating it.

Many thanks.

Guru
Views: 244
Message 5 of 7

Hi

On the support site there is this driver "AMD Video Driver/USB Filter Driver/USB 3.0 Driver/SM Bus for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ...".

But I think that your issue is a hardware related one since you are also seeing the lines on the BIOS and improved (a little bit) when you open up your hardware.

If the machine is on warranty you can open a ticket to Lenovo for they to fix it, or you can also open a ticket but Lenovo will charge for the pieced and labor of fixing it if it is not under warranty. 

The other thing you can do is check the hardware maintenace manual of the machine (IdeaPad Z380, Z480, Z485, Z580, Z585 Hardware Maintenance Manual) and search the parts (with their replacement number FRU) that you need to replace. But sometimes it can be too much "trial an error" to find out which part is the broken one.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

mbbx5aw2
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 6 of 7

Ok scratch that. I've just double checked the BIOS using the Novo button.... No horizontal lines! Apologies. What does this mean?

It says this driver is for windows 7. Will it work for windows 8.1 also?

Many thanks.
Guru
Views: 231
Message 7 of 7

Hi

If you don't see the horizontal lines on the BIOS, that may mean that it can be a driver issue on Windows. So there is hope that it may jsut be a software related issue.

There is this one on the support site, check it out:

AMD USB Filter/VGA/AHCI/SM Bus/USB3.0 Driver for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z485,Z585

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors