Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kochin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 915
Message 1 of 5

Horrible design/build quality on Y410p?

Here is my experience with 3 Y410p's. Through all the troubles, I am wondering whether Y410p has design and/or build quality problems.

My son's first Y410p started having SSD errors in less than 1 year after I bought it. The left hinge broke, but that might not be due to bad quality because my son had dropped it before (not broken at that time). I sent it to a local authorized repair center and then back to Lenovo Repair Depot for repair (long story). After 2 months, Lenovo finally admitted they didn't have the parts to repair it. After more persuasion and direct pleads to Customer Relationship department, at the end Lenovo sent me a replacement. Unfortunately that replacement has a cracked screen and dead on arrival.

DSC_0065.jpg

After another 2 weeks, my son received the 2nd replacement. At first we were happy that it was not dead on arrival. However, after 2 months of light use, the screen suddenly failed even though my son are sure he always handled it with care and never dropped it. He sent the laptop back to Lenovo Repair Depot. Now the Repair Depot claimed the screen is cracked even though there is no sign of cracks, and asked for $399 to fix it.

IMAG0905.jpg

I had a Dell laptop lasted 8 years, and I am using a 6-year Asus laptop without problems. Why Lenov's laptops are so easy to fail?

kochin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 863
Message 2 of 5

Re: Horrible design/build quality on Y410p?

I am happy to report that, after conveyed my experiences with those 3 Y410p to a manager at Lenovo support, he authorized to fix my 3rd Y410p's screen without any charge. While the manage didn't agree with me on the bad build quality of Y410p, it was very kind of him to take care of a dissatified customer.

Still, I believe Lenovo should give Y410p a stronger plastic cover for its screen so that the LCD panel inside is better protected.

kochin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 3 of 5

Now I really believe Y410p is inherently a laptop with poor construct and design. Only 3 months after Lenovo fixed the screen on my 3rd Y410p, that laptop suddenly died almost completely. I can turn on the power, but nothing shows up. So it is back to Lenovo again.

Following is a response to the reply from germs95 (Blue Screen Again) which got deleted for unknown reason.

It's a China made product, they never make any good laptop or whatsoever cause they're too busy using their money for fun and could care less about their customer.

Before all the Y410p problems I experienced, I had a Y460p which was a good laptop. My son used it to do work and play games. Y460p had a solid build quality and performed very well without any major issues. Once we suspected a intermittent charger fault, Lenovo swiftly sent us a free replacement since it was under warranty.

Because of my good experience with Y460p, I purchased the Y410p. But comparing the quality of Y460p and Y410p, Y460p wins hands down. Unlike Y460p, Y410p gives you a flimsy feeling, and we had several problems with it. My expericens with Lenov repair were horrible, but at least they owned up to it at the end.

Pumkinfacer22
Token Ring
Views: 711
Message 4 of 5

too funny..

i have a y410p right now and i'm having only Lenovo's normal restriction problems (fans/heat/bios/)

but i have read and seen nothing but so many laptops have all faulty parts on this forum.. so your story is just yet another example of you had it right with your first two laptops.. hint hint.. especially the 2nd one.. (wink wink.. even more hint...)

so anyway, so far my y410 has nothing broke.. but i can't stand the horrible heat issue and locked bios/restrictions they have put on it for what i want to do with "my" computer.. 

oh and by the way, i must have waited for 1month or longer before they finally sent me the laptop when i first ordered it.. that seems quite long aye..

kochin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 581
Message 5 of 5

Sigh ..... Less than 3 months after last repair by Lenovo in Dec. 2014, my son's Y410p was dead again. I believe the Y410p must have some inherent design flaws related to heat dissipation which causes overheating and damages the motherboard. 

So the laptop was again sent back to Lenovo Repair Center. To Lenovo's creadit, this time they decided to replace that trouble-prone Y410p with a current model Y40. Let's hope Y40 has a better quality in design and manufacture.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors