Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aspalmacin
Token Ring
Views: 1,087
Message 1 of 7

How To Make A Recovery Disk?

It's probably just me.  I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to make a backup image and recovery disk, and I'm having no luck: 

* If I try to place the backup image on the Lenovo drive (DSmiley Happy, it says I don't have enough free space (28GB) on D: for the estimated size of the image (62.5GB) -- is 62.5GB a rational size for the image?;

* If I try to place the image on the C: drive, it says the image can't be placed on the source disk, which I guess makes sense since I'd be modifying the input source data;

* If I try to place the image onto DVD's, it says I don't have enough "temporal (sic)" space -- I guess they meant to say "temporary" space.  Can't it use the free space on D: as a work area?

Anyway, I'm stuck.  Anybody have any ideas?  Do I have to add an external harddrive (via a USB port) and construct the "backup.wsi" image there?  BTW, I haven't mucked with the partitions or anything like that.  All I want to do is make a Recovery Disk in case my Y550 goes belly up.

Al Spalmacin
Y550 4186-46U
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,050
Message 2 of 7

Re: How To Make A Recovery Disk?

have you tried to use compression methods?

or you can try to burn factory defaults instead of creating new one.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,015
Message 3 of 7

Hi aspalmacin,

62,5 GB doesn't seem to be a rational image size if talking only about your OS and settings, but it is OK if you're making backup to save all your data from the physical HDD malfunction.

If so, the best way is to create your backup on the external HDD, which will be great in the aspect of speed of backup creation.

Another method is to make disk C smaller, disk D bigger, transfer all personal data to disk D and make an image of disk C.

Advantages of this:

+ Image will consume much less space (like 15 GB or near that)

+ Image will be created very fast (due to it's size)

+ Restoration form the image wil be very fast (again, size involved)

Disadvantages:

- If the HDD fails physically all your data will be gone and no backup will be available

- Factory image will be unavailable for usage until you increase C disk size up to it's original size or over that

So, it's up to you.

HTH

Regards,

Sergey

edit: typos

aspalmacin
Token Ring
Views: 994
Message 4 of 7

OK, how do I go about making an image of just the OS and it's settings?   

Al Spalmacin
Y550 4186-46U
Retired Guru
Views: 980
Message 5 of 7

To do so you need to keep only OS and settings on the drive C.

This means - to transfer all other things from disk C to other places.

Recovery program can only make image of whole disk C, s you define what will be on the disk C and automatically saved.

//help will save the world
aspalmacin
Token Ring
Views: 956
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, Skripatch.  That explains why Recovery thinks it has to build a 62.5 GB image. 

But, hey, I didn't define the C: drive as being 252 GB (of which 62.5 is pertinent), Lenovo did when they built the system for me. 

And nowhere that I can find that's obvious did the Recovery phamplet say that the recovery image consists of whatever is resident on the C: drive.  And if they suggested that I make C: small and D: large, well, I missed reading that, too. 

Granted, I could have found that out here, as I did, on these forums, but that's a serendipitous find.  If I never chanced on these forums and relied only on the Recovery phamplet -- as I did --  I wouldn't have known about the "small C:" trick.

So, the fix is to shrink the C: drive -- I assume that means moving programs and data, not partition size -- and move the excess to the D: drive.  Well, my D: is defined as 30 GB, with 28 GB free.  That may not fly. 

I think I'm going to have to get an external USB- or ESATA-connected harddrive and place the image there and then burn the DVD's from there.  Does that sound plausible?  Anyone?

Thanks for all the help.  I may get this to work yet.

Al Spalmacin
Y550 4186-46U
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 944
Message 7 of 7

i think i'm going to have to get an external usb- or esata-connected harddrive and place the image there and then burn the dvd's from there. does that sound plausible? anyone?

yes, you can use external disk.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors