cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zurek107
Fanfold Paper
Views: 440
Message 1 of 8

How can I secure OKR and safly modify the partitions?

Hi everyone!

I'm the happy owner of amazing Lenovo Y580. After one month of using it I need to modify the partitions in order to install additional, linux OS called Fedora. I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I have some specific questions. First of all I want to know if I can trust this solution. It looks pretty good, but I just want to know your opinion. The second thing I want to know is, how to totaly secure OKR? I mean, what should I do to have a possibility to restore the system with working OKR in every moment, after many changes in partitions etc.I have already done the recovery disc of factory image, but I'm still not sure is it enought. 

I would be greatful for every response.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 414
Message 2 of 8

Re: How can I secure OKR and safly modify the partitions?

Hello
Welcome to the community!
If you modify the partition sizes, then you would certainly loose the function of the inbuilt recovery environment.
What i suggest you is to make recovery disk of the factorybackup through the one key recovery windows apllication and only then change partition sizes so that after a windows severe corruption, you could use the recovery disks.
Other way is that you follow the instruction in the below link. Only difference that you would use your recovery disk instead of the custom windows you make in the thread.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Making-Factory-Default-HDD-Read-this-could-...
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
zurek107
Fanfold Paper
Views: 400
Message 3 of 8

Should I understand, that ALWAYS after disc partitioning I will lose my OKR functionality even if I did factory image backup. The onlly way is to make a backup of the whole HDD? 

What about the solution in the link in my previous post?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 395
Message 4 of 8

The link in the first post is for okr 6.0. The new ideapads have okr7.0.
After repartitiong the okr would not work. But the recovery disk would work.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
zurek107
Fanfold Paper
Views: 394
Message 5 of 8

So there is no way to restore fully functional OKR after repartitioning?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 390
Message 6 of 8

Sometimes it works after reverting back to default partition sizes. Only sometimes.
zurek107
Fanfold Paper
Views: 388
Message 7 of 8

Ehhh, it doesn't sound good... Is there any easy way to install second OS without killing OKR?  The solution given by you stopps OKR functionality too? I'm sorry about thousands of my stupid questions, but I really want to save my OKR. Thanks for patience Smiley Wink

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 380
Message 8 of 8

Recovery disk of initial backup is the best option. You can use them any them after resizing partition.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors