cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,116

Question

I bought an IdeaPad Z580 towards the end of last year and have had awful trouble with the gestures with the touchpad. Swiping from the left side of the trackpad to the right switches back to something you were doing before is my main issue as it crashes my games continually when I accidentally catch it.

I have been to control panel>mouse>settings>synaptics settings stuff and I can't find a 'turn off gestures' button.

Answer

Try to disable these settings:

1. Press WinKey+I > Change PC Settings > General  > App Switching and turn off:

This will allow switching between recent apps; try swiping from the left edge - this should allow your screen to switch the most recently accessed app.

Spoiler
swipe_settings.jpg

2. Disable the Touchpad Gestures using a registry trick.

From this article: Modify or disable Windows 8 swipe gestures on touchpad / laptop,

"Doing this involves editing the registry, it is recommended to do a manual system restore point before doing this.

You will need to make a file called gestures.reg. To do so, open Notepad and paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]

Save this file somewhere, with the .reg extension.

Now run it - note that some warning boxes may come up and you will need to press Yes when they do.

Once the operation has finished, reboot your PC.

To re-enable these gestures, then you will need to do the same but use the following text when saving the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000002
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]

Was this information helpful?