cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pearlcliffs
What's DOS?
Views: 231
Message 1 of 3

How difficult is it to remove a laptop harddrive and attach it to a desktop?

Hello,

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 that quit on me. I made the mistake of not backing up my hard drive. The harddrive is fine.

Is it possible to remove the harddrive from the laptop and attach it to a standard desktop computer? Are there any difficulties or anything I should be aware of?

I'm comfortable with removing the hd from my laptop and opening up the desktop. I just want to know if it is physically possible (and safe, and reasonable, etc.) to attach a hard drive from my dead Y500 and run it using the hardware on my desktop. Is it recommended?

Regards,

PC

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 218
Message 2 of 3

Re: How difficult is it to remove a laptop harddrive and attach it to a desktop?

@pearlcliffs wrote:

Hello,

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 that quit on me. I made the mistake of not backing up my hard drive. The harddrive is fine.

Is it possible to remove the harddrive from the laptop and attach it to a standard desktop computer? Are there any difficulties or anything I should be aware of?

I'm comfortable with removing the hd from my laptop and opening up the desktop. I just want to know if it is physically possible (and safe, and reasonable, etc.) to attach a hard drive from my dead Y500 and run it using the hardware on my desktop. Is it recommended?

Regards,

PC

This is the link to the hardware maintenance manual which you can use as a guide in accessing the hard drive and other component. As to your question as to how difficult to remove and attach the hard drive to a desktop I would say it depends on who's going to do it. For those familair it might be easy but for those not familiar it might be difficult.

Guru
Views: 209
Message 3 of 3

Re: How difficult is it to remove a laptop harddrive and attach it to a desktop?

You would want to check the SATA connectors on your desktop, if they are 3.5", you may have to buy an adapter to mount a 2.5" laptop drive.

Other than that, just follow the manual and its a pretty easy process (since you say you are comfortable with it), Also read the precautions in the manual before openingg up the laptop.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Top Kudoed Authors