Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jhorton328
Punch Card
Views: 199,457
Message 1 of 14

How do I enable booting from CD/DVD and USB drives?

Ok, I have been struggling with this all night, and I am stumped.  I have a brand new z510 notebook, and I need to do a clean install of windows 8.1.  Problem is that I can't seem to boot from CD or USB.  I have entered the bios, and although the DVD rom drive works, and it shown correctly in BIOS, it does NOT allow me to add it to the boot list.  Also, there is an option called 'Boot From USB'  I enable that, and still the USB boot does not show up in the boot list.  The only thing I have in the boot list is the 'Windows Boot Manager' and it lists the name of my drive.  

I thought that maybe secure boot was the issue, but I tried disabling this, and is still doesn't let me do what I want. 

I am kind of at my wit's end here.  I just paid $800 for a top of the line laptop, and I can't even boot from a cdrom.  Every computer I have had since the 1980s have allowed me to do just that without trouble.  

What am I missing??

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 198,994
Message 2 of 14

Re: How do I enable booting from CD/DVD and USB drives?

@jhorton328 wrote:

Ok, I have been struggling with this all night, and I am stumped.  I have a brand new z510 notebook, and I need to do a clean install of windows 8.1.  Problem is that I can't seem to boot from CD or USB.  I have entered the bios, and although the DVD rom drive works, and it shown correctly in BIOS, it does NOT allow me to add it to the boot list.  Also, there is an option called 'Boot From USB'  I enable that, and still the USB boot does not show up in the boot list.  The only thing I have in the boot list is the 'Windows Boot Manager' and it lists the name of my drive.  

I thought that maybe secure boot was the issue, but I tried disabling this, and is still doesn't let me do what I want. 

I am kind of at my wit's end here.  I just paid $800 for a top of the line laptop, and I can't even boot from a cdrom.  Every computer I have had since the 1980s have allowed me to do just that without trouble.  

What am I missing??

Try changing Boot mode to Legacy Support. Then another option will be displayed (Boot Priority). Set Boot Priority to Legacy First. Save and Exit.

Update: This is what I mean, 

Boot options.JPG

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 199,362
Message 3 of 14

Do you see any BIOS settings like "Boot mode" with a "CSM" or "Legacy" type of item as a choice? You might try toggling that to see if you can successfully boot from external media that way.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Z510 to confirm the BIOS screens. I'm going by inference from what I see on my Y2P and X1C.

Please let me know if this works.

Regards.

Edit: LenBlazer was quicker on the draw. Smiley Wink

Please do post back with how things work out.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

jhorton328
Punch Card
Views: 198,908
Message 4 of 14

Yep, so this was the issue kind of.  Basically, my issues were due to NOT understading how UEFI works.  What I was trying to do was to install Windows 8 in UEFI mode so I could make use of Microsoft's eDrive with Bitlocker.  The probblem was that if I enabled legacy boot mode, to boot windows setup from a CD, then the OS wouldn't install in UEFI mode.  

What I had to do was to take the windows installation CD, copy it to a USB flash drive that was setup as a UEFI boot device, set the bios to UEFI only, and then install windows from the USB, so EVERYTHING was in UEFI mode.   Once I did that, I got windows installed correctly, and I have HW encryption in my Samsung 840 Evo 500GB.  

Its a wonder what some research will do.  Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. 

rogergeo
What's DOS?
Views: 198,551
Message 5 of 14

I am using Ideapad Y410p and was having a hard time trying to find the option to boot from the CD.

As per the above comments, I set the BiOS boot setting from 'UEFI' to 'Legacy' and selected 'Save and Exit changes'.

Immediately it booted from the recovery disc.

Thanks all

kalyankokala
Paper Tape
Views: 197,047
Message 6 of 14

Hi.! I have a problem with my Lenovo g510 laptop I recently performed a clean format by deleting all the partitions in the laptop and started installing windows 8 but there was an error in the CD and the installation process was interrupted. Now when I try to install windows 7 from BIOS or boot menu I don't see any option of CD/DVD ROM. I even selected LEGACY as first preference but still I don't see any options displayed below leagacy and moreover it restarts again and again because the OS was been interrupted please guide me to install the WINDOWS 8 AGAIN using a CD Drive
Cole52
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 179,359
Message 7 of 14

Hi jhorton328,

How did you resolved the usb boot option issue.

For me usb boot option is not coming in UEFI mode.

If I select legecy support then usb option comes, but i want to install win 7 64 bit in uefi.

I have already created the bootable usb in gpt uefi mode.

Bios settings:

Lenovo g50 70

Security boot : disabled

Boot mode: uefi

Fast boot: disabled

Isb boot: enabled

Os optimized defults: other os.

Hard disk format: gpt

When I boot, only "EFI PXE Network" option comes. No boot from usb option

Please help

Thanks

Lucy65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 161,319
Message 8 of 14

Hi I have a Lenovo G50 enhanced experience 2.0 laptop.

I got in to InsydeH20 Setup Utility.  I down arrowed to LEGACY PCI DEVICE and than pressed

F6 to move it up to the top and than pressed F10 to save and exit. But it will still not boot from CD/DVD. I have no idea why.  The other two options under the BOOT heading in InsydeH20 setup utility are "SATA HDD : TOSHIBA MK6465GSX" and the other option is "SATA ODD : HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT33N.

I have no idea what they are.  I cannot ask my once computer intelligent brother as he has brain cancer and would no longer remember.  Its heartbreaking to see.

So my question is if any one is familiar with the above set up can you please explain to me how I can set my laptop to boot from CD/DVD please?

I am trying to reset my local admin account password with SPower Windows Password Reset -Professional.  Looks like at this stage I will have to go to the local Library and download the SPower DvD on to their computer and than put it on a USB FLASH DRIVE I can't see any other way around this to solve the problem so that I can reset my password. 

Thanks All.

Lucy65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 161,319
Message 9 of 14

Thank you to the idiot who deleted my first post that took me half an hour to type out. I have read the forum guidelines and did NOT to the best of my knowledge violate them.

If I did some thing wrong you could of had the decency to at least tell me via email. If I did some thing wrong it was purely unintentional on my part. Due to my brother current!y dying of brain cancer I am not in a good way emotionally etc.  Your **bleep** attitude was uncalled for and unfair.  You can delete my account from your forums I will not be back as I find your behaviour unfair, inconsiderate and rude.  I can do without your inconsiderate rude attitude in my life right now. What goes around comes around. May some one kick you down when you are already at your lowest with grief and are hurting over a loved one when you have done something that was totally unintentional.  You absolute pig.

qammari143
What's DOS?
Views: 114,557
Message 10 of 14

Sometimes you need to boot from a CD in order to fix or upgrade your computer. The problem is, most computers are set to boot from the hard disk, without trying to boot from a CD. Getting your computer to do this can be convoluted, so follow these steps to make sure that you boot correctly.
1.Insert the Disk
2.reboot Your computer
3.goto Bios setup.
4.In boot menu set CD/DVD player as primary device to boot.
5.The save the changes.

Here is artile with Full details
http://www.ithemesforests.com/how-to-boot-a-computer-from-a-cd/

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors