cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 5,417

Question

I own a lenovo Y580 wihich is equipped with a 1TB HDD. I would like to add the msata ssd for caching purposes only but I'm not entriely sure how to go about it.

Answer

THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU ARE CONFIGURING YOUR SETUP SSD AS A CACHE.

The msata SSD used is MyDigitalSSD 64GB 50mm Bullet Proof mSATA SSD - MDMS-5064.

NB: Intel Rapid Storage Tech (IRST) isn't working and it is not applicable to Y580 because the "Accelerate" feature is missing.

Here are the steps below:

• Backup all your files and make a bootable disc just incase it will fail.

• Install the msata into the slot. You can access it at the back of your notebook by opening the 2-hole cover at the back.

• Set the BIOS into AHCI and not to Compatible.

• Boot into windows.

• Download the software "VeloSSD" trial version 2.0.0.7 from softpedia and do not update to 2.0.1.1 or latest version.
    NB:  The Velossd 2.0.0.7 works well with my system. However the latest version will prompt me with error. 

• Run and configure the software, yet the limitation of the software is upto 32GB only.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
msahni

Hey,

I had the same problem with the Windows 8 upgrade. Lenovo Rapid Drive doesn't work and Intel RST only works with RAID option. So after Microsoft messed around with my system (They were very helpful with the install but had no idea about SSD Acceleration) I had none of the original partitions left.

After a huge search I finally was able to get the acceleration via - Diskeeper ExpressCache to work. Got it from Lenovo's site cause the ones from other  companies sites wont work with Lenovo machines - some licensing issue. Using version 1.86 and its great.

1. Using DISKPART set  both your drives to GPT - not MBR

2. Set 2 primary partitions on your SSD - Sizes 1st one = RAM size, 2nd one = remainder of disk

3. Install Win 8 on your HDD.

4. Activate Win 8 - you might need to phone activate due to changing partition sizes / HDD.

5. Delete the Second Partition of SSD in Disk Management.

6. Install Expresscache from Lenovo's site. I found it on the thinkpad section though not ideapad.

7. After setup in Command window run ECCMD.exe - INFO and you can see it working...   Really see speed up in 7-10 reboots...

8. Personally I loaded the windows folder to SSD via ECCMD - LOAD C:\Windows

Cheers