Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adnansajid33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,112
Message 1 of 7

How to clean install windows 10?

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade to windows 10 on my lenovo y50-70, I am currently runny windows 8.1 64 bit version. 

My question is can i download windows 10 and create a uefi bootable usb and install it, will windows 10 detect my windows serial automatically and go ahead with the installation or are there any special steps that i need to follow.

Thanks

ar550n1c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,104
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to clean install windows 10?

I suggest that you download and install the free "upgrade" to Win 10 first. Even though its not a clean/fresh install and won't format the drive. It will recognize that you are taking advantage of the free upgrade though (Looks at your current Operating System) and will then activate Windows once the installation is finished (Choose to skip entering the key until its installed. Win 10 will not need one with the upgrade).

Now once Win 10 has been installed (upgrade) and you have activated it (handshake with Microsoft), now you can use any Win 10 bootable media to boot to, and install over the top with a format. :-) Reasoning for this is that once you are back in Windows it will know you previously activated (and took advantage of the upgrade) and will automatically activate again.

If you just clean install over the top it won’t see you are eligible for the upgrade (cant see previous/current Operating System), and you will need a license key (purchase).

Hope that helps! This way at least you can do a fresh install (formatted) and take advantage of the fact its "free".

adnansajid33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,099
Message 3 of 7

I appreciate the response, will give it a try (upgrade to windows 10 first). 

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,050
Message 4 of 7

@ar550n1c wrote:

I suggest that you download and install the free "upgrade" to Win 10 first. Even though its not a clean/fresh install and won't format the drive. It will recognize that you are taking advantage of the free upgrade though (Looks at your current Operating System) and will then activate Windows once the installation is finished (Choose to skip entering the key until its installed. Win 10 will not need one with the upgrade).

Now once Win 10 has been installed (upgrade) and you have activated it (handshake with Microsoft), now you can use any Win 10 bootable media to boot to, and install over the top with a format. :-) Reasoning for this is that once you are back in Windows it will know you previously activated (and took advantage of the upgrade) and will automatically activate again.

If you just clean install over the top it won’t see you are eligible for the upgrade (cant see previous/current Operating System), and you will need a license key (purchase).

Hope that helps! This way at least you can do a fresh install (formatted) and take advantage of the fact its "free".

I strongly recommend you follow this. You will probably find this to be far less painless than doing clean install as well. If its working well I would also take a backup image of the drive to an external one before attempting to do a clean install. It will be a lot more complex getting the various foundation and driver components working. You then have a fall back if you wish to restore it.  You can use "AOMEI Backupper" which is free utility and create a working boot CD as well.

Good luck.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,046
Message 5 of 7

@adnansajid33 wrote:

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade to windows 10 on my lenovo y50-70, I am currently runny windows 8.1 64 bit version. 

My question is can i download windows 10 and create a uefi bootable usb and install it, will windows 10 detect my windows serial automatically and go ahead with the installation or are there any special steps that i need to follow.

Thanks

You can clean install either by

1. Updating first the present system then doing a clean install the usual way OR

2. Clean install directly without updating.

First option procedure is given earlier by a contributing member. If you prefer the second option refer to this excellent tutorial.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,034
Message 6 of 7

I have upgrade (in place upgrade) of two tower systems of different vintages. One notebook which is the ThinkPad T520 which is not listed as supported to upgrade either. After some time I got everything working and in most cases the post upgrade drivers all worked but I upgrade a few as available. Nothing went south on the ThinkPad either since I did it.

I have yet to do the Z70-80 and waiting for newer drivers to appear from Lenovo as both Intel and Nvidia have release much newer ones.

I see no reason to do a clean install as most tools previously install still worked.

PS: The ThinkPad T520 was Windows 7 64bit while the other two were at Windows 8.1 64bit.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,029
Message 7 of 7

What ever is on the mind of the OP, this thread is asking on how to clean install Windows 10 as reflected in the title.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors