Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Super PM Chat

The Future of Windows Tablets

Join the conversation and share your feedback with the Lenovo Product team

How to disable indicator lights through registry tweaks

0 Kudos
Click ►
Started ‎08-12-2010 by
Modified ‎08-12-2010 by

When I first got my Y550 ideapad, I noticed it contained a lot of preloaded software that I wasn't interested in, so I went ahead and uninstalled a good deal of it. unfortunately, I may have gone a bit overboard, and now I simply cannot get these lights to stop blinking.

It's super annoying in the dark. Any way I can either turn them off or get the software needed to turn them off?

The wireless indicator light is activated when wireless is activated, press fn + f5 to disable the wireless and the light. 

Disclaimer - Lenovo does not recommend the following proceedure:

If you wanted to disable the light and maintain wireless, this could be accomplished through some tweaks to the windows registry.  

You need to edit the registry - DO NOT change any registry key other than the following ones:

From Start > Type "regedit" on the search and press enter.

From regedit, go to:

Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} > Just click "0015" (do not expand).

On the right side, you will see a key named "LedMode". If you do not see this key here, we might have different configurations, however you can still find it.

Go to: Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and expand it.

On the left, you will see folders like "0000" , "0001" etc. Just click on these folders(without expanding) and look to the right for a key named "DriverDesc". If you see any of them having a value that contains "Intel" and "Wifi", that's your folder. Just go down to see the "LedMode" key.

When you find the "LedMode" key:

Double click it. For the value, you can set it to 0,1 or 2.

0 -> Light off

1 -> Light on when the there is wireless activity

2 -> Light always on

In your case you probably want to set it to 0. Click OK. Disable your wireless adapter and reenable it. Or you can just restart your machine.