Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bSM45
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,982
Message 1 of 22

How to recover deleted "Recovery Partition"

Ok so I apologize in advance if this story is a bit long, and horrifying (actually it's probably entertaining xD).

I purchased the Lenovo y510p gaming laptop on back on July 14th 2014. I got the laptop, and it just didn't work for me. It didn't play the games I wanted it to, it had overheating issues, the keyboard had a really sharp edge making typing uncomfortable as well. After installing Sony Vegas and Avast, and just shifting some of my personal photos/music over, I made a backup of the laptop using the OneKey Recovery software. This backup was made to one of my 500GB external hard drives.

So I then decided that I just didn't like the laptop, and it was time to return it. I called Newegg, and got my RMA all ready to go. Because I had lot of my personal files and programs, I decided the fastest way to delete everything would be to use the OneKey Recovery by Lenovo, and do a factory reset. At the time, I didn't think anything of this then simply putting the laptop back to exactly how I got it. I even booted it up after the factory reset, and it looked just like the first day I got it. Fast forward 2 weeks, and my RMA is denied from Newegg:

Your RMA (RMA Number: 60470880) return was received and sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination.

34-313-740 NB LENOVO IDEAPAD Y510P 59406636 RT

System has been modified/altered original manufacturers operating system has been removed cannot access restore partition, this voids Newegg warranty. Unit cannot be accepted or resold as received.

So I was completely shocked as to how I had managed to delete the recovery partition, I didn't modify the OS in anyway, and I phoned Newegg to check what was going on. They confirmed that the tech people at the returns department could not reset the laptop properly, because the recovery partition had been deleted. So, the laptop is being shipped back to me this week, and my question was what on earth could I do to recover this "deleted recovery partition?"

If the OneKey Recovery still works, I don't see why it woudn't, then I can restore the backup that I made on my external hard drive from Day 1. That should bring back this alleged "recovery partition" that's been causing all hell to break loose lol. If however, I can't access that OneKey Recovery, I believe I'm in a huge pile of trouble. Newegg said that if I can manage to recovery that lost "recovery partition" then they will honor my RMA and refund my money.

At this point in time, I'm trying to salvage my situation, and think and act quickly as Newegg does have a 30day only return policy. I didn't do much with the laptop when I had it other than test a few games, so I honestly have NO IDEA how I could've deleted the recovery partition. But I'm not thinking of that anymore, and thinking ahead as to how I can recovery this deleted "recovery partition."

Thanks for reading this horror story, and I really appreciate any responses.

Guru
Views: 26,956
Message 2 of 22

Re: How to recover deleted "Recovery Partition"

If you only used One Key Recovery by Lenovo, it should not delete the partition. (I hope you did not format the whole system)

Once you receive the laptop, you can check if this partition still exists in Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Disk Management.

It should show some drives, other than the C: , D: and the SSD (if you have). Those drives are the recovery partitions. I can post a sample screenshot in the evening.

Sadly, I do not know any way to recover that partition. As I have seen on this forum several people who lost that partition could not roll back their laptop to original settings without a recovery drive (which is different from a recovery backup).

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Guru
Views: 26,953
Message 3 of 22

Also, whatever the BS reason newegg is giving is rubbish.

Deleting software is in no way tampering with the system even if it happened. You should tell them that this is the way you received it, or ask for warranty from Lenovo.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
bSM45
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,950
Message 4 of 22

The only thing I ever did was use OneKey Recovery. The thing is, Newegg is pretty adament that I deleted the "recovery partition" so I'm trying to think back to everything else I did. I mean I downloaded Dolphin emulator to try and play some games, I adjusted the reg settings to fix the trackpad glitch the laptop has where you can't click if you have a button pressed. All in all, I did play around with the laptop, but I NEVER resized paritions, or changed the OS, or anything like that at all. Furthermore, I restored the laptop to factory conditions before I sent it in, so shouldn't that have fixed everything I did anyway?

Also I've been told by several people that Newegg is really bumming me out in this deal right now, I mean it's a $1300 laptop, and I honestly don't want it anymore. I've had 6 different live chats, and 3 phone calls to them explaining this situation, the most I got what an extension on the 30 day return policy by 1-2 days, by a supervisor. They keep saying, we can't honor your RMA because the recovery partition is missing. It doesn't matter if it could've been like that when I received it according to them.

Oh and your saying you don't know anyway to recover the partition, but if I restore my backup wouldn't that restore the partition?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Guru
Views: 26,938
Message 5 of 22

Man, I am not really sure, but you can check -

1) Make sure that recovery partition is there or not. As I said, go to Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Disk Management and check.

2) Second, When the laptop is shutdown, try pressing the NOVO button and see if the laptop starts in the recovery mode.

3) You can try to restore the laptop from your backup. (Not sure if this will restore the recovery partition)

If you find that recovery partition is there, then take a screenshot or record a video and show to newegg. Its pretty dissapointing that they are trying to rob you with the money and everything else.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 26,936
Message 6 of 22

hi bSM45,

It's odd that you were able to do a factory reset via OneKey Recovery (OKR) and Newegg ended up not able to access this function.

The OneKey Recovery requires the recovery partition for it to work.

Link to picture

Also, there are reports that altering the partition structure (eg. Resizing the C Drive) may prevent the OKR from working but other users have found ways on how to restore it.

Check these threads

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/OKR-8-0-problem/m-p/1633924/highlight/true#...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Backing-up-Z500-Touch-Hdd/td-p/1118253/page...

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Guru
Views: 26,935
Message 7 of 22

Also, Are ou sure it was Newegg or a third party seller?

I usually shop on amazon and they have a good way to cover a customer in case a third party seller screws them over.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 26,933
Message 8 of 22

Hi,

I've no idea whether you accidentally deleted the recovery partition or if the 'Egg is giving you the runaround...

Worst case, you can order recovery media from Lenovo support that should put the machine back to its out-of-the-box condition.  You might even make a case that something got sideways with OKR  (if it did - seems unlikely) and they might comp the media.  There's usually a charge for it.

I am not speaking for Lenovo.  Just suggesting that an honest request might net a positive result.  They might well charge for media in this case - but that probably beats eating the cost of the laptop.

Regards and good luck,

Z.

Canada
IDEA-branded and B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products
English
1-877-4-Lenovo, (1-877-453-6686)
24 hours a day Monday-Sunday

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

bSM45
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,894
Message 9 of 22

Man I am overwhelmed by the amount of thoughtful and informative responses I'm receiving, thanks so much guys.

@Rocky- They are shipping the laptop back to me this week, I should have it by Friday. The first thing I'll do is go into Disk management to see if the recovery drives are there. Tbh, I doubt Newegg would purposely rip me off, so I'm expecting the drives to be missing. If they're not however, I'm taking pictures and probably dancing because I'll be so happy haha.

If the drives are NOT there, I'll see if I can load up OneKey Recovery, and restore my backup, and go from there.

Also yes I'm sure I bought it from Newegg, no third parties.

@neok- That's exactly what I was thinking! I did the OneKey Recovery, then packed the laptop up and sent it for shipping. Then I get a RMA denied and I was completely shocked. That made me wonder if you could only do the OneKey Recovery once maybe, but I contacted Lenovo and they gave me a letter, written, saying what the OneKey software does. I then forwarded this email to the supervisor at Newegg, but she told me that the fact of the matter is that the "recovery partition" is not accesible anymore, and they're not honoring my RMA unless I retreive it. They were very adament about this.

Also thanks for those links, I did a few Google searches myself and those are generally what I found. The reoccuring theme in those cases seems to be people resizing their partitions. I did not do that, simply played a few games, didn't like the laptop, did a factory reest, and boom. That's all I did. If I'm unable to use OneKey Recovery when I get the laptop back this upcoming Friday, I'll consult with those links. Thanks!

@Zoltan- Yeah honestly I want to be furious with Newegg, but then seeing as they're really quite strong on their grounds that I somehow deleted it, I'm trying to think back to what I did. However, I find it hard to believe that I would delete the recovery partition, even accidently, because I only had the laptop for a day, and all I was really doing was transferring my photos/music, and installing a few programs.

My desperate last attempt to salvage my money will be calling Lenovo and requesting the recovery media, even if it costs $60 or up. The only problem with this is that they might take a while to ship the disc. I only have until around August 14th before Newegg's 30day return policy kicks in, although I spoke with the Newegg supervisor, and she granted me 1-2 days of grace. I could order the CD right now, before I even get the laptop shipped to me, but that's risky seeing as I might not need it at all, if I can still access the OneKey Recovery. The more I think about it though, if I explain my entire situation to Lenovo, they might send me a free CD which I could then order right now, saving me a few days, and serving as more of a precaution then anything.

Thanks so much for the replies guys, last Friday was the most stressful day of my life, this RMA was denied, and then I thought about it all day at work. I think I could've been more aggressive with Newegg, but I have no real legal documentation to show them. I mean yes even if I did delete the recovery partition, which I didn't, but let's suppose I did. Deleting software is still not any means for flat out rejecting an RMA, and refusing to refund $1300. I just wish I had some sort of legal document to refer Newegg over to Smiley Sad.

Guru
Views: 26,884
Message 10 of 22

Goodluck Man with the recovery.

Thanks for the warning that Newegg can reject RMA for such silly things. Never imagined that could happen for something which probably you did not even do.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors