Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cora995
What's DOS?
Views: 42,082
Message 1 of 10

How to set my Z580 battery settings to fully charge ?

Hi,

I bought a new Lenovo Z580 this past June. Shortly after I began using it, a system message popped up explaining to me that since I often have my laptop plugged in, it would conserve battery life if I let the system change my settings so that the battery didn't fully charge -- this would save battery life over the longterm and I would be free to change the setting whenever I wanted to. Well, this has been the biggest mistake ever. I now essentially have a desktop because I cannot find any setting that allows me to change the battery to fully charge (it only charges to 40 or 50%). There isn't any mention of this feature in the user guide materials that I can find and none of the Power Options allow me to change the battery charge capacity. PLEASE HELP! I am stuck with a brand new "laptop" that can barely be unplugged for an hour, and this is the most frustrating, awful setting I have ever seen in a computer. Thank you so much to anyone who can help.

Cora

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 42,014
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to set my Z580 battery settings to fully charge ?

Welcome
The laptop automatcally changed the setting by the energy management to maximum battery lifespan. To change this, open the gui interface of energy management. Then go to battery setting to optimize for runtime. This should do.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Cora995
What's DOS?
Views: 41,940
Message 3 of 10

Thank you! I was able to find the change in settings that you suggested. So far, the battery now fully charges and has the expected 5-6 hours battery life unplugged.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 41,924
Message 4 of 10

@Cora995 wrote:

Thank you! I was able to find the change in settings that you suggested. So far, the battery now fully charges and has the expected 5-6 hours battery life unplugged.

Happy to know your problem got resolved,

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
DRW14
Blue Screen Again
Views: 41,043
Message 5 of 10

I have the same issue and have tried to go through the Windows battery settings in Control Panel, but cannot find any setting that comes close to what is suggested here.

Would it be possible to let me have some more detailed instructions, please?

Many thanks.

VeryTall
Paper Tape
Views: 40,906
Message 6 of 10

A little note - I have only just figured this out!

In Lenovo Energy Management for Z580 (file em8.0.2.3.exe if you need to search and download) select 'Maximum Battery Life' instead of 'Optimised Battery Health'. The thing is, when you hover over the AC power/battery charge icon in the taskbar, it does not immediately change from "not charging" to "charging" - but shortly after (maybe even 45 seconds) you may see e.g. "60%, available (plugged in, charging)". This is what has thrown me for months!

Where to find Lenovo Energy Management:  near the clock - find the "red car/blue bicycle/blue high-speed train" icon, depending on your chosen Power Plan. It may otherwise be in the hidden taskbar icons you can access by clicking the little "up" arrow in the taskbar. Note: You may need to first "Enable Lenovo Energy Management" if you disabled it before. In any case, if you can't find it where I say then the following paragraph is the long way round that also enables it:

Click on the AC power/battery charge icon, and select "More Power Options," then click "change power plan settings" and then "advanced power settings." There is a tab there for Lenovo Energy Management - when you click "Enable Lenovo Energy Management" it will open (and be enabled too if previously disabled)

Note: You probably want to change the setting back to "Optimised Battery Health" as soon as possible. Fully charging is not great for battery health but necessary for train journeys etc. Note, same as changing this setting before, it takes about 45 seconds before it says not charging.

Note to Lenovo: You really ought to change the terminology used in Lenovo Energy Management. "Maximum Battery Life" (to fully charge the battery) is described as "This mode maximises your battery life". And "Optimised Battery Life" is described as "This mode provides you the longest battery lifespan". These descriptions could easily mean the same thing (like Parking signs in London) - simple English would be better e.g. Fully Charge: This setting will fully charge your battery but will destroy it in the long-run. Remember to switch back to Long Life. Long Life: ...

DRW14
Blue Screen Again
Views: 40,871
Message 7 of 10

Many thanks for your comprehensive response. It seems systems are different as to how you get there. I don't have a "red car/blue bicycle/blue high-speed train" icon.

However, I finally applied the proper thought process and went to Start - All Programmes - Energy Management - Power Management Options (Windows 7), after which there are choices for Battery Fully-Charged Mode, or Battery Protection Mode.

Once it is known how to access this, then it is straightforward to manage, if, say, traveling when battery life may be more important.

It is not easy to find however and I'm sure an improved way of getting to this would be preferable.

greatwest1
What's DOS?
Views: 33,578
Message 8 of 10

Why not speak english, and CLEAR ENGLISH >???????

DEAR LENOVO, WHY NOT push the envelop and increase sales by having a customer or many customers try out your logic .

This is what Windows never does !! You will be appreciated and sales will increase.

Thank you for these people contributing to help , what should never really be needed.

Thank you for the suggestions here.

I do not have bicycle icon, but do the following:

1- click 'up' on bottom right corner; click energy manager - on mine, it's a black circe in a square icon;

2-now what I see, and I do hope that you see, is the energy manager box; halfway down in middle of box is

several choices: I choose the 'Balanced Mode' or better yet: 'High Performance Mode'

** The brilliant comment made earlier, is:  the  'charging' message does not show until after 45seconds approx.

** This will throw you off for some time as it did for me too.

I think LENOVO has an excellent product , but windows 8 has the ability to ruin an otherwise great product.

Thank you , I hope this helps many frustrated people.

Check out : '  Classic Shell' and bring back windows7 and XP- they work....

Cheers, Gk.

heeterchristina
Paper Tape
Views: 25,153
Message 9 of 10

My laptop always says 60% plugged in, not charging it will drop in % of its charge, its goes back up to 60% but never further and NEVER says its charging. I have it set to "Maximum Battery Life" but it still never goes up. I had it charging for the first time in months and now its dropping back down to 60%, what am I doing wrong and what should I do? (My laptop will be 2 years old on march 23, 2015)
Michel-Lute
What's DOS?
Views: 4,997
Message 10 of 10

In Windows 7, click Start, All Programs, Lenovo, Energy Management, Power Management Options.  This brings up the Lenovo Energy Management window, which looks like a car's speedometer; sorry, this chatroom doesn't allow me to insert an image.

Click on the battery icon on the lower right of the Energy Management window.  This brings up a new window.  Click on “Battery Fully-Charged Mode” or “Battery Protection Mode”. Then click Apply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors